I decided this caramelised butternut squash side dish needed a whole blog post of its own because it was really that delicious! And so super easy too.
We had it with a paprika roasted chicken, roasted garlic mash and red cabbage and beetroot and it was one of the best meals we’ve had in a while. You can throw this squash in the oven 40 minutes before the rest of your meal is done and forget about it until five minutes before the end of cooking when you chuck a few herbs in a pestle and mortar or blender to finish it off.
This was a perfect Sunday night meal which we ate after I arrived back in London from a weekend at my parent’s. I was home to go shopping for a bridesmaid dress for my childhood best friend’s wedding (people my age really can’t be getting married can they?!). After an exhausting day of shopping we managed to find a really great dress which all four bridesmaids approved of which is a pretty resounding success!
Anyway, make this next time you need a new vegetable side dish to try.
This caramelised butternut squash recipe is a perfect side dish to go with roasted meats. I even used the leftovers to top homemade pizza!
- 1 Butternut Squash sliced
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 10 sprigs Rosemary chopped
- 10 sprigs Thyme chopped
- Zest of 1/2 a Lemon
- 1 Garlic Clove chopped
- Handful Flaked Almonds
- Heat the oven to 170°C. Place the slices of butternut squash in a dish with a tbsp of the oil and a good sprinkling of salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until soft and caramelised around the edges.
- Just before the squash is finished cooking place the herbs, remaining oil, garlic clove and lemon zest in a pestle and mortar or mini blender and blend together.
- When you take the squash out the oven top with the herby gremolata and the flaked almonds and serve.