Since Will and I moved in together he’s got quite into making bread and other yeasty based items. The one he’s closest to perfecting is definitely the pizza base. It’s always soft and chewy with a great flavour.
That leaves me to do the sauce and the toppings. I’ve been using this great frying pan sauce which is really easy to make and tastes like real pizza sauce!
Every Christmas my mum buys Will and my 2 brothers in law an unusual cooking ingredient as part of their present. This year the choice was black garlic so Will and I have been trying to find interesting ways to use it in our cooking.
If you haven’t tried black garlic before, it’s got quite a strong, almost balsamicy taste. Adding the black garlic to the topping gave the pizza an amazing rich sweetness.
- 250g Strong White Bread Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 7g sachet Fast Action Yeast
- 1 tsp Golden Caster Sugar
- 170 ml warm water
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion - Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic - Crushed
- 1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 3 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- Cooked Chicken (we used 1 leg which was enough for 2 pizzas) - Torn into pieces
- 1 Yellow Pepper - Sliced into strips
- Handful of Mushrooms - Sliced
- 2 Cloves Black Garlic - Chopped
- 150g Mozzarella - Cut into Cubes
- 2 Large Handfuls of Cheddar Cheese - Grated
- Make the dough. Mix the flour, yeast and salt together in a large bowl. Mix together the sugar and warm water then make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Pour the sugar and water into the well. Gradually mix the wet and dry ingredients together and then turn out onto a floured work surface. Knead for 10 minutes. Flour the outside of the ball of dough then place in an oiled bowl. At this stage you can either prove for about 15 minutes somewhere warm or put it into the fridge until you're ready to use.
- Make the sauce. Heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, plenty of salt and 40ml of water. Once the water has evaporated pour in the tin of tomatoes and cook down until it's almost dry. Mix in the tomato puree, chilli powder and oregano and leave to cook a little more until it has a thick consistency. Tip out onto a plate and allow to cool.
- Divide the dough into two pieces and roll out until about 5mm thick then place on baking trays and leave to rest while you prepare your toppings.
- Slice up all your topping ingredients then spread your sauce across the pizza bases. Sprinkle over your toppings followed by the cheese and bake for about 15 minutes. Slice and enjoy!