This cumin rubbed chicken sandwich is served with a delicious herby chimichurri slaw and a spicy chipotle potato salad!
How’s everybody’s weekends? I was at home for my sister’s baby shower. She’s due in about a month and I’m so super excited to have a brand new baby nephew. The baby shower was really fun, we went for afternoon tea and then for drinks and my sister got lots of super cute presents.
But by far the most exciting thing that happened to me this weekend is that I went to see the Trolls movie and omg I loved it so much!! The trolls are so freaking cute and the story and the singing and everything was just amazing. Also Justin Timberlake, who is my lifelong biggest crush, is in it and even as a troll I still ♥ him. If you need cheering up you should go and watch it because it is literally all about being happy and doing lots of singing and dancing and hugging.
Ok so now you’ve discovered the true extent of my immaturity we can get onto the deliciousness that is these cumin rubbed chicken sandwiches. Just look at that chicken, all juicy and tasty. Once the chicken is in the oven you need to move onto all the amazing extras that go into making this dish.
We have a vibrant chimichurri slaw packed with fresh herbs and a tasty hit of chilli. That goes into the sandwiches with extra chimichurri to drizzle on top. Because you can never have enough of that freshness.
Now all of this is just great but I’ve gotta say, probably my most favourite part of this dish has to be the chipotle potato salad. When we first came up with this meal Will and I were both in the mood for a really indulgent potato salad with loads of mayo, the type that really doesn’t justify the use of the word ‘salad’. This one, made with a simple chipotle mayo, is just insane. We used shop bought mayo as the base because I am just not one of those people to be making mayo from scratch on a weeknight. I’m sorry I just can’t be doing with that.
Will did make his own rolls for this cumin rubbed chicken sandwich since he is now a bum who stays at home all the time ‘freelancing’. Definitely not a requirement for this though, everything else is so good you won’t be noticing the bread anyways!
Don’t you just want to take a big bite out of that?! Also, don’t go thinking this takes ages to make just because there’s three different things to prepare. It actually all comes together in about half an hour!
Cumin Rubbed Chicken Sandwiches, Chimichurri Slaw & Chipotle Potato Salad
For the Potato Salad
- 500 g Baby Potatoes halved
- 2 Dried Chipotle Peppers
- 200 ml Mayonnaise
- Squeeze of Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper
For the Chimichurri Slaw
- 1 Small Red Onion chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 3 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 40 g Fresh Parsley
- 20 g Fresh Coriander
- 3 tbsp Fresh Oregano
- Pinch of Chilli Flakes optional
- 200 ml Olive Oil
- 1/2 Red Cabbage sliced thinly using a mandolin
For the Chicken
- 4 Skinless Boneless Chicken Thighs
- 1 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Dried Coriander
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 4 Bread Rolls
- 1 Red Pepper roasted and sliced
To Make the Chicken
- Heat the oven to 200°C. Mix together the spices and set aside. Pound the chicken thighs until they're an even thickness then drizzle both sides with olive oil. Cover with the spice mixture and place on a baking tray. Cook in the oven for about 10 minutes, until cooked through, flipping halfway through cooking.
To Make the Potato Salad
- Boil the potatoes until cooked, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. Blanch the chipotle chillies in boiling water for 10 minutes until softened. Remove the seeds and place in a small blender with the mayonnaise, lemon juice and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth then stir into the cooked potatoes.
To Make the Chimichurri Slaw
- Put the red onion, garlic, red wine vinegar, lemon, parsley, coriander, oregano, chilli flakes and olive oil in a blender and pulse until smooth. Stir 2-3 tablespoons of chimichurri into the sliced red cabbage and reserve the rest of the chimichurri for serving.
- Place a piece of chicken on each bread roll followed by a slice of roasted red pepper and some slaw with the potato salad and extra chimichurri on the side.
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THis CUMIN RUBBED CHICKEN SANDWICH?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Use up the dried chipotle chillies in these slow cooker chipotle chicken quesadillas!
Use up the fresh parsley in this lemon garlic sour cream pasta