This red lentil dal is perfect when you’re craving that curry flavour but you want something quick and healthy. Serve with yoghurt and mango chutney.Jump to Recipe
Red Lentil Dal is one of my favourite weeknight dinners. It’s so easy to make, quick, healthy and I normally have all the ingredients already in stock. Plus it’s great when you fancy something with a great curry flavour without all the effort of making a curry from scratch.
This is great healthy comfort food. Warm and lightly spicy, I served it over rice with natural yoghurt and mango chutney. This also makes excellent leftovers, I took it for lunch the next day and it was even better once the flavours had had time to meld together.
What are your go to weeknight dinners? I love experimenting with food and coming up with different things to make with the ingredients I have around the kitchen but it’s nice to have some stock favourites to rely on. Sometimes you can’t beat a good spag bol, a simple chilli or a quick pasta dish.
Next time you’re tempted by a take-away curry, try this dal instead, I promise you won’t regret it!
Healthy Red Lentil Dal with Spinach
This red lentil dal is perfect when you're craving that curry flavour but you want something quick and healthy. Serve with yoghurt and mango chutney.
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 Red Chilli chopped
- 1 thumb sized piece of Ginger grated
- 2 tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 tbsp Chilli Flakes
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 400g tin Coconut Milk + the same tin filled with water
- 300 g Red Lentils
- 150 g Baby Leaf Spinach
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for a few minutes until softened. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and cook for a few more minutes before adding all the dried spices and heating until everything smells amazing, about two minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, coconut milk, water and lentils to the pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes until thickened. A few minutes before the end of cooking add the spinach and stir in to wilt. Serve with rice, yoghurt and mango chutney.
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS HEALTHY RED LENTIL DAL WITH SPINACH?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!