This one pot roasted red pepper pasta comes together in 20 minutes and is full of comforting cream cheese and the smoky flavour of the red peppers.
Ahh one pot pastas. What an excellent invention. As much as I love cooking there are some evenings when I just feel like I have so much to do and not enough time to do it.
It's those evenings when I need something for dinner which takes less than half an hour to come together. Obviously it still needs to be delicious and if it's blog worthy then even better!
I'm always excited by a big bowl of cheesy pasta. Cheese is pretty perfect in most meals to be honest.
It tastes great with Mexican food like this cheesy Mexican rice and vegetable tortilla stew, on top of baked meatball sandwiches and of course in veggie loaded gnocchi bakes. This cheesy roasted red pepper one pot pasta is one of my faves though.
Pasta: I used farfalle but you can use any short cut pasta you like
Stock: In the recipe i suggest you use chicken stock but if you'd prefer then you can use vegetable stock instead
Garlic and Onion
Roasted Red Peppers: To keep this recipe as easy as possible then go with jarred peppers although if you want to you could roast your own!
Mixed Herbs: I buy pots of dried mixed Italian herbs from the supermarket but if you don't want to then you can use a mixture of dried oregano and thyme for a similar flavour
Cream: This helps to make the pasta extra indulgent but you can leave it out and it will still be delicious
Basil: For a bit of green to serve!
You need roasted peppers for this recipe. I roasted some before I made this which does add a bit of time to the recipe but you could easily use jarred ones.
Throw them in a pot with the pasta, some onion, garlic, chicken stock and chopped tomatoes and let it simmer away for 12 minutes.
Stir in some cream cheese and a little double cream and you'll have a gorgeous creamy cheesy sauce. Make sure you top the whole thing with lots of black pepper (and I mean lots) and plenty of chopped fresh basil. Heaven!
Tips for making this recipe
- Get all your ingredients chopped and ready then pop the pasta, chicken stock (switch to vegetable to make it vegetarian!), garlic, onion, roasted peppers, tomatoes, herbs and chilli flakes in a heavy based pot and bring to the boil.
- Once the pasta is cooked just stir through the cream cheese and cream and once it's all melted and gooey then serve with plenty of black pepper and basil.
- Keep an eye on the liquid levels while the pasta is cooking and add a little extra stock if it's looking too dry before the pasta is fully cooked.
- You could add cooked shredded chicken or stir through some spinach into the pasta before serving for a little extra protein or veg content
Do roasted red peppers need to be stored in the fridge?
An unopened jar of peppers can be stored at room temperature but they should be stored in the fridge once they're open.
Can you prepare this recipe ahead of time?
This recipe is great for meal prep as leftovers store really well in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Want more? Try these other pasta recipes!
- Caramelised Onion Pasta with Gruyere
- Cherry Tomato Pasta with Kale
- Spicy Pasta with Harissa and Aubergine
- Creamy Tagliatelle with Squash and Sausage
- Mushroom Orzo with Beetroot & Feta
- Orecchiette Pasta with Sausage and Broccolini
One Pot Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- 500 g Pasta
- 1 litre Chicken Stock
- 5 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 200g jar Roasted Red Peppers chopped
- 1 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Dried Italian Mixed Herbs
- ½ teaspoon Chilli Flakes
- 200 g Cream Cheese
- 50 ml Double Cream (optional)
- Black Pepper
- Fresh Basil Leaves sliced
- Place the pasta, chicken stock, garlic, onion, roasted peppers, tomatoes, mixed herbs and chilli flakes in a large pot over a medium heat. Stir everything together and make sure the pasta is covered by the liquid.
- Cover the pot and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the pasta is cooked to your liking then take the pot off the heat and stir through the cream cheese and double cream if using.
- Season with black pepper and top with fresh basil to serve.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!