This mushroom pasta bake has a creamy sauce and a cheesy topping that makes it perfect for a family dinner. This baked mushroom pasta is the best comfort food!
I am pretty much always in need of cheesy comfort food 🧀
Meet the pasta bake I've been eating for lunches for weeks on end. I made an enormous batch of this a few weeks ago and every time I didn't have anything to take to work for lunch I'd grab a portion of this pasta bake out the freezer.
It freezes great and just seems to got more flavourful every time I eat it.
The inspiration for this pasta bake came about because a) I was obsessing over the thought of making this creamy mushroom pasta and this garlic mushroom pasta again and b) coating something in cheese and baking until melty can only make it better.
And I'm just so happy I tried it because it was so good.
What's so good about this mushroom pasta bake?
- It's great for meal prep. Whether you throw this pasta bake together on a Sunday and then box up to take to work everyday or keep the leftovers in the freezer for easy dinners when you need them it's such a great recipe for leftovers
- It's vegetarian and so works well for a weeknight dinner if you're a vegetarian or just trying to cut down on meat consumption like we are
- It's ultimate comfort food and will warm you up on a cold night
- It's easily bulked out with added vegetables or protein. Some chicken or spinach would be awesome here
Creamy Mushroom Pasta Bake Ingredients:
- Butter: An essential requirement for those garlic butter mushrooms
- Mushrooms: I used regular white mushrooms but use whatever type you like the best
- Garlic: The more the better
- Double Cream: For that rich and creamy sauce
- Pasta: I used fusilli but any short cut pasta will do
- Mozzarella and Cheddar: For topping the pasta bake and cooking until super melty and stretchy
Creamy Mushroom Pasta Bake Instructions:
- Cook the mushrooms: Melt some of the butter in a frying pan then gently fry the garlic followed by the mushrooms until everything is soft. Scoop out and set aside.
- Make the sauce: Melt the rest of the butter then add more garlic and a sprinkling of flour then pour in the cream, whisk constantly until thickened.
- Bake the pasta: Put the cooked pasta into a baking dish, pour over the sauce, add the mushrooms, a handful of cheddar and most of the parsley then stir everything together. Top with the mozzarella and the rest of the cheddar. Bake for 25 minutes.
Equipment you need to make this recipe...
[amazon_link asins='B00C8921J4,B01N30VTOO,B077SWFL5K,B0007VO0CQ' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='f857ebd5-d1da-4fdf-a2b7-63702b9e1300']
Creamy Mushroom Pasta Bake Variations:
- Add some proteins: Stir through some cooked chicken before baking for an extra protein hit
- Add some veggies: Some spinach would be amazing as would broccoli or any other green veg of your choice
Want more? Try these other baked pasta recipes!
- Baked Spaghetti Pie
- One Pot Gnocchi Bake with Tomato & Mozzarella
- Creamy Baked Mac and Cheese
- One Pot Cheese and Tomato Pasta Bake
- Baked Penne with Meatballs
- Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS CREAMY MUSHROOM PASTA BAKE?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Add leftover mushrooms to this vegetarian pie recipe
Sprinkle leftover parley over these chilli prawns
Creamy Mushroom Pasta Bake
- 4 tablespoon Butter
- 300 g Mushrooms sliced
- 4 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoon Flour
- 250 ml Double Cream
- Salt and Pepper
- 500 g Pasta cooked according to packet instructions
- 2 tablespoon Parsley chopped
- 100 g Mozzarella sliced
- 50 g Cheddar grated
- Heat the oven to 220°C/420°F. Melt half the butter over a medium heat and add half the garlic and plenty of salt and pepper, cook for a couple of minutes then add the mushrooms and fry for 10 minutes until softened then scoop out the mushrooms and set aside.
- Add the rest of the butter, melt then add the rest of the garlic and flour. Cook for a couple of minutes then pour in the cream, whisking constantly until thickened. Season and remove from the heat.
- Place the cooked pasta in a baking dish and pour over the sauce, add most of the parsley, all of the mushrooms and a handful of cheddar, mix until everything is combined. Top with the rest of the mozzarella and cheddar and bake for 15 minutes until browned. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!