Creamy mushroom pasta is the perfect easy vegetarian dinner. It's so simple to make and is the ultimate weeknight comfort food!
Hey heyyyy...we've got mushroom pasta for your meat free Monday and it is creamy and garlicky and full of thyme and it is just delicious 😍
It's time for cosying up with big bowls of pasta and this creamy mushroom pasta is pretty much the ultimate.
It's got butter, garlic, mushrooms and thyme for a big ol' flavour bomb that'll fill you up and put a smile on your face. I use plenty of double cream in this because, well, sometimes you just need to go all out you know?
And it gives this dish the most comforting flavour and richness which I absolutely love.
Can you use milk instead of cream in this recipe?
If you'd rather lighten this recipe up a little you could try using milk instead of cream. You might need to add a little cornflour slurry (whisk a few tablespoons of milk with a tablespoon of flour together) to the sauce to help thicken it but it should still taste amazing.
This pasta is typical of a weeknight dinner in our house and one that I'll throw together when I've got nothing else planned.
What else is there to turn to when you're desperate for dinner and have hardly any ingredients in your cupboards?
Of course we always always always have pasta in the cupboard and the same goes for garlic because it's the best thing in the world. Then it's just a case of picking up some double cream and mushrooms and you're 20 minutes away from dinner. If you need more recipes like this then try out some of these other 20 minute dinner recipes.
Creamy Mushroom Pasta Ingredients:
To make this simple mushroom pasta recipe you will need:
- Pasta: I like to use something cute and little for this recipe like conchiglie but use whatever you like, spaghetti would work well
- Butter & Garlic: Is there two more glorious words to read than butter and garlic? You have to know you're in store for something incredible when they're involved
- Mushrooms: I used regular white mushrooms but your favourite type would work fine, try chestnut or even portobello
- Thyme: I love thyme in this recipe, it adds such a delicious flavour and is one of my favourite herbs. It would also work really well with parsley or even rosemary. Use leftovers in this veggie sausage casserole
- Double Cream: Because you need that creamy deliciousness. Any extras can be added to this creamy cauliflower curry
How to make this pasta recipe?
It's so perfectly easy to make this creamy pasta recipe:
- Cook the pasta: According to packet instructions and make sure to reserve a little pasta water before you drain it.
- Fry the mushrooms: Melt the butter and add the garlic then the mushrooms and thyme and fry until softened. Scoop them out and set aside.
- Make the sauce: Melt more butter and cook more garlic and the flour then add the cream and whisk then simmer until thickened.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce: Then serve with extra thyme and black pepper.
Equipment you need to make this recipe...
[amazon_link asins='B00537P25S,B001DXE62G,B00HEZ888K,B00537PF9G,B01LWXDP3O,B003ASATPA' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='']
Creamy Pasta with Mushrooms Variations:
- Add some greens: If you want to up the veg content a bit then try adding some kale or spinach. They would work great in here and be so simple to add
- Add some protein: This mushroom pasta would be fab with some cooked chicken stirred through
- Try some other flavours: Try stirring through some extra herbs and spices into the sauce. Some chilli flakes or a little smoked paprika would be so delicious. A sprinkling of fresh parsley would be great too
What goes with mushroom pasta?
I'd strongly suggest serving this pasta with garlic bread because pasta is always improved with garlic bread but if you fancy something a bit lighter then this would be delicious with a simple green salad.
Expert tips for making creamy pasta with mushrooms:
- This recipes works with any cut of pasta you like so use whatever you have
- Same goes for mushrooms, any mushrooms can be added to this pasta, chestnut, button or portobello work especially well
- The pasta water is a key addition in this recipe, it helps to thicken the sauce thanks to the starch in the water
Want more? Try these other vegetarian pasta recipes!
- Easy Lemon Garlic Pasta
- One Pot Cheese and Tomato Pasta Bake
- Kale & Avocado Pesto Pasta
- Five Ingredient Garlic Mushroom Pasta
- Pasta with Caramelised Sweet Potatoes & Kale
- Caprese Pasta Salad with Basil Dressing
Creamy Mushroom Pasta with Thyme
- 300 g Conchiglie or another pasta of your choice, cooked according to packet instructions
- 4 tablespoon Butter
- 4 cloves Garlic crushed
- 200 g Mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoon Flour
- 2 sprigs Thyme
- 250 ml Double Cream
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 tablespoon Reserved Pasta Water
- Thyme Leaves to serve
- Parmesan Cheese to serve
- Melt half the butter over a medium heat and add half the garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes then add the mushrooms and thyme and fry for about 10 minutes until softened. Scoop out the mushrooms and set aside.
- Add the rest of the butter, melt and then add the rest of the garlic and the flour. Cook for a couple of minutes then slowly pour in the cream and whisk. Simmer until thickened.
- Add the pasta and mushrooms plus a little pasta water, add a tablespoon at a time, until everything is coated and the sauce is the desired consistency. Serve sprinkled with thyme and black pepper.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!