Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
This simple creamy prawn curry recipe has a rich coconut milk sauce with plenty of spices. It’s so quick to make and is perfect served with rice and naan for a weeknight dinner.
Curries are one of my favourite things to make when I need something quick and delicious.
They’re always so full of flavour and are absolutely perfect for this time of year when you need a little heat to warm you up. I make them pretty regularly whether it’s a creamy cauliflower curry or a pressure cooker curry with potato & aubergine or even my favourite halloumi curry with cashew nut sauce and broccoli.
This particular creamy prawn curry is so super simple and requires just a handful of ingredients.
There’s something about that combination of prawns with the slightly spicy coconutty sauce that I just can’t get enough of. Plus it’s even better with plenty of naan and mango chutney.
Whenever we get a takeaway curry we always split one creamy and one spicy one. I love butter chicken or lamb pasanda and Will likes something a bit spicier so we always get a nice mix of the two.
Creamy curries are also my favourite to make. I love adding coconut milk to savoury dishes and I think adding it to curry might just be the best way of using it.
How do you cook raw prawns in a curry?
It’s so easy to cook the prawns directly in the curry. I used frozen prawns so I made sure they were completely defrosted before I needed them and then just stirred them through the sauce and cooked for another 5-10 minutes until opaque.
Creamy Prawn Curry with Potatoes Ingredients:
To make this creamy prawn curry you will need:
- Spices: I used a simple combination of curry powder and turmeric which gave this curry the most amazing colour and flavour.
- Potatoes: Any will do, just peeled and chopped, they make this curry so lovely and hearty. Potato is one of my favourite things to add to curry.
- Coconut Milk: Preferably full fat. If you’d rather use low fat then that’s fine but I think the sauce turns out a little thinner without full fat.
- Prawns: I used frozen prawns which I defrosted for the day before I made the curry then it was just a case of adding them to the sauce and letting them cook for a few minutes. Use whatever size or type you like!
Products from Amazon.co.uk‹ ›
How do you make creamy prawn curry?
Just a few simple steps are needed to make this creamy prawn curry:
- Cook the onion and spices: Heat the oil and fry the onion for a couple of minutes before adding the garlic, spices and potato.
- Add the tomatoes and coconut milk: Bring to a simmer and cook until the potato is softened.
- Stir in the prawns: Allow to cook for another 5-10 minutes until the prawns are opaque then serve with rice, naan, coriander (cilantro) and nigella seeds.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Price: £10.49Was: £14.00
Price: £8.99Was: £9.95
Creamy Prawn Curry Variations:
If you want to switch up this curry try some of these different versions:
- Use a different protein: This curry would be so yummy with a different meat. Try chicken or lamb. Just chop into pieces and cook with the onion and spices before adding the liquids.
- Try adding vegetables: If you want to up the veg content of this curry then you could add so many different vegetables. I think spinach, broccoli or cauliflower would work amazingly.
- Make it spicy: The recipe as written is fairly mild but you can easily make it spicier by adding chilli flakes to taste.
What to serve with prawn curry?
I love to serve this prawn curry with rice and naan bread but if you’re extra hungry it would be delicious with a side of saag aloo!
Want more? Try these other curry recipes!
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Vegan Pressure Cooker Coconut Curry with Sweet Potato
- Slow Cooker Saucy Thai Butternut Squash Curry
- Quick and Easy Leftover Turkey Curry
- Grain Free Curry Beef Bowl
- Healthy Salmon and Tomato Curry with Spinach
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS CREAMY PRAWN CURRY WITH POTATO?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
The dressing in this salad is the perfect way to use curry powder.
Adding turmeric to this tomato & halloumi bake gives a lovely earthy flavour.
Creamy Prawn Curry with Potato
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 Onion sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 2 medium Potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 400g tin Tomatoes
- 1 400g tin Coconut Milk
- 250 g Prawns
- Heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for a couple of minutes before adding the garlic, curry powder, turmeric and potato. Stir to get everything coated in all the spices.
- Pour in the tomatoes and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes is softened, about 10 minutes. Add the prawns and allow to heat through for a couple of minutes then serve.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!