This vegetarian lasagne is so quick and easy to make. Filled with carrots, peppers, courgettes and mushrooms it’s the perfect meat free dinner recipe!
Meat free day! And I have the perfect meat free recipe for you!
Blogging makes me realise that we eat meat free pretty regularly. There’s already been a baked falafel recipe, a roasted veg orzo salad and a caprese pasta salad over the past few weeks and now I’m adding this super delicious one pot veggie lasagne to the list.
I adore the comforting nature of a vegetable lasagne. It feels simultaneously healthy thanks to being packed with veggies and also completely indulgent thanks to all the cheese and pasta.
This dish is great for serving to a crowd, especially on a weeknight when you don’t have loads of time to fuss over a dish and everyone is pretty much guaranteed to love it!
The Best Vegetable Lasagne
I love lasagne so much but I often can’t be bothered to go through the whole shebang of layering and whatnot (although if you do feel like going the whole hog then try out my classic beef lasagne recipe).
So a few months ago I decided to try out a much simpler one pot lasagne and it turned out so well. Like so well.
As soon as I’d made it I knew that I needed to make an easy vegetable lasagne too.
As I mentioned before we eat vegetarian quite a lot and I’m often trying to find ways to make our favourite dishes without meat so a vegetable lasagne is right up my street.
I threw all our favourite vegetables in this lasagne but you can definitely switch it up and add whatever you fancy.
Why we love this vegetarian lasagne:
- One pot! That’s all you need to make this vegetable lasagne which makes it so much better than your usual multiple different sauces and all the layering you need for a traditional lasagne
- It’s also vegetarian so we normally opt for this version during the week
- You can also make it your own by adding whichever vegetables you like
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS ONE POT VEGGIE LASAGNE:
- Olive Oil
- Red Pepper – Use up leftover in the pressure cooker pasta with Mediterranean vegetables
- Courgette (Zucchini) – Use any extra in one of these courgette recipes
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Vegetable Stock
- Dried Oregano
- Cream Cheese – Or you could try cottage cheese if you want to lighten things up a little
- Dried Lasagne Sheets (get gluten free if necessary) – Use up leftovers in this four cheese butternut squash lasagne
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe…
It’s so easy to make this recipe. You simply fry off your vegetables and then add tomatoes, stock and seasoning and cook until you have an amazing, rich tomato sauce.
Then instead of making a separate cheese sauce you stir cream cheese through the tomatoes and nestle dried lasagne sheets into the sauce before baking with plenty of mozzarella on top. It’s so simple but has the best flavour!
HOW TO MAKE VEGETARIAN LASAGNE (STEP BY STEP):
- Heat the oven. Heat the oil and fry the onion for a few minutes followed by the garlic, carrot, courgette, mushroom and pepper. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and seasonings. Simmer until thickened.
- Wilt the spinach into the sauce along with the cream cheese. Add the broken dried lasagne sheets to the sauce and top everything with mozzarella.
- Bake for 20 minutes then turn the heat up and cook for another 10. Serve.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Is this lasagne healthy?
Despite the fair amount of cheese in this vegetarian lasagne there’s also plenty of vegetables including carrots, courgette and mushrooms so it’s probably as healthy as a lasagne can be! If you want to lighten a little then try using light cream cheese instead of full fat.
What goes with vegetable lasagne?
You can serve this lasagne as a meal in itself but if you’d like to make a more complete meal then try adding some garlic bread and a big side salad.
Can you freeze this lasagne?
You can definitely freeze this recipe, simply leave to cool then freeze whole or portion into containers and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost then reheat thoroughly in the microwave before serving.
Want more? Get all my other vegetarian recipes before you go or try one of the below!
- Sriracha Ranch Chopped Salad
- Grilled Halloumi Skewers with Satay Sauce
- Creamy Avocado Pasta
- Baked Falafel Burger with Chipotle Mayo
- Vegan Meatball Sub
- Korean Baked Tofu Rice Bowls
- Roast Vegetable Salad with Halloumi
Easy One Pot Vegetarian Lasagne
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic crushed
- 2 Carrots peeled and cubed
- 1 Red Bell Pepper cubed
- 1 Courgette (Zucchini) cubed
- 150 g Mushrooms cubed
- 1 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 300 ml Vegetable Stock
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 100 g Spinach
- 120 g Cream Cheese
- 150 g Dried Lasagne Sheets broken into 2 or 3 pieces
- 150 g Mozzarella sliced
- Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Heat the oil over a medium heat in an oven proof pot. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes, then add the garlic, carrots, courgette, mushroom and pepper. Cook until everything is soft, probably another 10 minutes.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock, dried oregano and a good helping of salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the spinach and stir until it has wilted into the sauce. Then add the cream cheese and allow to melt into the sauce. Add the broken lasagne sheets into the sauce, nestling them under the vegetables and making sure that all of the pasta is covered in the sauce. Top with mozzarella slices and place in the oven, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes turn the heat up to 200°C/400°F and cook for another 10 minutes until the cheese has browned. Serve sprinkled with a little grated parmesan if desired.
Did you make this recipe?Make sure you follow The Cook Report on Instagram and tag #TheCookReport so we can see what you've made!
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!