This healthy potato salad is made with no mayo but uses Greek yoghurt instead and is bulked out with cucumber. This is a super easy recipe perfect as a summer side dish.
Nothing says summer like a potato salad!
Potato salad is just quintessential summer food. It's great for barbecues and picnics as well as simple summer dinners which pretty much makes it the ultimate side dish.
Although your classic potato salad is made with a heavy mayo dressing I decided to lighten things up and make this a healthy version with a Greek yoghurt dressing and plenty of cucumber and herbs which really amps up the freshness.
Why we love this healthy potato salad:
- First off it's healthier than your usual potato salad because it uses Greek yoghurt for the dressing instead of mayo. This also gives it a delicious tangy flavour
- It's also packed full of herbs like dill and parsley which gives it so much extra flavour while still keeping it healthy
- I added half a cucumber to this recipe which bulks it out and gives it a delicious crunchy freshness perfect for a hot summer's day
- It's such an easy recipe which anyone can make so it's great to make for your next summer celebration
- It can also be made ahead so it's ideal for taking along to a picnic or barbecue
- This is a vegetarian and gluten free recipe
Potato Salad with Greek Yoghurt Ingredients:
- New Potatoes: Cut to similar sizes for equal cooking times
- Cucumber: Chopped into small chunks
- Greek Yoghurt: For a lightened up dressing with a delicious tangy flavour
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Dill
- Fresh Parsley
How to make potato salad with yoghurt:
- Cook the potatoes: Bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Cut the potatoes to equal sizes and add to the water, boil for 10 minutes.
- Make the dressing: Whisk together the yoghurt, olive oil, garlic and fresh herbs. Season well.
- Finish the salad: Add the potatoes and cucumber to a large bowl, pour over the dressing and toss to coat.
Equipment you need to make this recipe...
[amazon_link asins='B008DW4X7I,B00004OCNS,B00HEZ888K,B00FEX81FE' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='14e9f999-eefe-4a03-8517-22803bdcb9f6']
Expert tips for making healthy potato salad:
- If you want to add any extra vegetables to this potato salad something like chopped spring onions or finely diced carrot could work really well
- This salad can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days
- If you're not a fan of dill and parsley you can definitely use different herbs like coriander or basil for a change of flavour
- I prefer to use full fat Greek yoghurt in my recipes as it has a creamier flavour and texture but if you're still looking to lighten things up then a low fat yoghurt will still work
Want more? Try these other summer salad recipes!
- Greek Style Grilled Corn Salad
- Salmon Salad with Watercress & Edamame
- Thai Green Mango Salad
- 15 Minute Noodle Salad with Peanut Sesame Dressing
- Chicken Shawarma Salad
- Halloumi Salad with Kale & Tahini Dressing
Healthy Potato Salad with Greek Yoghurt
- 800 g New Potatoes
- ½ Cucumber chopped
- 4 tablespoon Greek Yoghurt
- 3 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 clove Garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Dill chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Parsley chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- Halve the large new potatoes so that they're all around the same size. Bring a large pot of water to the boil and add plenty of salt. Add the potatoes and cook for 10 minutes until soft. Drain and leave to cool.
- Add the cooled potatoes to a large bowl with the cucumber. Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients with a large pinch of salt and pepper and pour over the potatoes. Toss and serve.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!