This chicken vegetable soup is a filling and tasty dinner perfect for cold evenings. Serve with some crusty bread and a sprinkling of parmesan.
You really can't beat a good hearty soup recipe. This chicken vegetable soup has all kinds of goodness in it. It's perfect for using up leftover cooked chicken and has pasta, beans and loads of delicious vegetables. It's so dreamy 💕
It's soup time! Hearty chicken vegetable soup time to be exact. This recipe is one of those food cuddle recipes. You know food cuddles? When you eat something and it makes you feel all warm inside.
That's what you get when you cook chicken and pasta and beans all together in a big pot and serve it with crusty bread and parmesan and parsley.
This soup came about because I wanted to send something comforting over to Will's parents' house. They weren't feeling too well and so I wanted something Will could take round and they could just heat up quickly that night. And we all know how nourishing chicken soup is.
I started off with a load of veg and stock then added pasta and beans to make a really super hearty soup. Let's be honest, soup with pasta is where it's at.
- Olive Oil
- Chicken Stock
- Haricot Beans
- Cooked Chicken
- Frozen Spinach
- Frozen Broccoli
- Salt and Pepper
This would be the perfect recipe for using up leftover roast chicken (or Turkey if you're looking for something to do with those Thanksgiving/Christmas leftovers).
It's also one of those recipes that can take whatever vegetables you feel like throwing at it. Here I've used carrots, spinach and broccoli because that's what I had on hand but you could any other veg you like and it would be delish!
What if I don't have cooked chicken on hand?
You can still make this recipe - simply place 3-4 chicken breasts on a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper and place in a preheated 220°C oven for about 20 minutes until cooked through. Then once it's cooled slightly just chop or shred it before adding to the soup.
What to do with leftovers
As this recipe uses leftover chicken I wouldn't recommend storing it in the fridge for more than a couple of days, depending on how long ago you originally cooked this chicken.
If you're concerned about reheating the chicken, make the base of the soup and then portion out the amount you'll be eating that day and add some of the chicken to heat through. Then repeat with the leftovers.
This recipe is great for making ahead - just make the soup base up to the end of step one and store in the fridge until ready to eat. Then reheat in a pot and continue with step two. You could also freeze the base for a quick and easy dinner when you're got veggies and leftover chicken to use up.
Can this recipe be made gluten free?
Yes! Simply switch the pasta for your favourite gluten free brand or leave out altogether.
Want more? Try these other soup recipes!
- Pressure Cooker Bean & Pearl Barley Soup
- Roast Cauliflower Soup with Preserved Lemon & Miso
- Spicy Tomato Soup with Bulgur Wheat
- White Bean Soup with Herby Oil
- Tortellini Soup with Kale
- Roasted Tomato and Fennel Soup
Hearty Chicken Vegetable Soup with Pasta & Beans
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic chopped
- 2 sprigs Thyme
- 2 sticks Celery chopped
- 4 large Carrots chopped
- 2 litres Chicken Stock
- 200 g Shortcut Pasta
- 2 400g tins Harricot Beans
- 450 g Cooked Chicken shredded
- 100 g Frozen Spinach
- 300 g Frozen Broccoli
- Salt and Pepper
- Parmesan grated
- Fresh Parsley chopped
- Heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onion with a big sprinkling of salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes until softened. Put the garlic, celery, carrot and thyme in the pot with the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the pasta, spinach and broccoli and cook for 10 minutes. Add the chicken and beans and cook for another couple of minutes until heated through. Serve the soup topped with lots of grated parmesan, fresh parsley and bread.