Move over avocado toast! It's time for olive and tomatoes on toast with a creamy za'atar buttermilk dressing for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
This is the greatest summer meal. It's fresh and light and works at literally any time of day. I've been obsessed with tomatoes this summer maybe even more than usual.
Nearly the weekend! Oh yeahhhhhh.
I'm so excited, not only because I get two days off work, but also because we're going out for a fun day on Saturday.
Will, his sister and I have a tradition of going to bottomless brunches every month or so and we've got another one on Saturday.
We hunt out all the best deals in London for bottomless brunches/lunches. Sometimes they're just bottomless drinks and sometime bottomless food and drink (my favourite).
The one we're going to tomorrow is bottomless tacos and margaritas. Have you ever heard anything better?! BOTTOMLESS TACOS!
I'm so freaking excited.
Once we've left wherever we're having our bottomless we normal find a few other bars to drink for the rest of the afternoon but my absolute favourite part of the day is heading back to a pub near home and getting cheap pizzas before calling it a day at about 9pm.
They are some of my favourite days!
Anyway, onto these light and tasty olive and tomatoes on toast. I got the idea of the combo for a tomato and olive salad recipe from my queen Sabrina Ghayour's latest cookbook Feasts.
I loved the sound of that sweetness from the tomatoes and saltiness from the olives together but I wanted to make it into something a bit more substantial so that we could eat it for dinner.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED TO MAKE OLIVE AND TOMATOES ON TOAST:
- Mixed Tomatoes - I went for a mix in sizes but if you can get your hands on some beautiful heirloom ones too then they would work perfectly
- Pitted Olives - Green ones are my favourite for this
- Buttermilk - If you don't have any then I give instructions on what to do if you don't have buttermilk in this post
- Olive Oil
- Za'atar - I've used this one before
- Crusty Bread - The crusty and fluffier the better. Homemade? Even better!
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe for olive and tomatoes on toast...
It's so simple to make this recipe but it's absolutely bursting with flavour. The olives, tomatoes and chives are tossed together in a big bowl with salt and pepper and drizzle of olive oil to begin with. If you wanted to get this meal prepped then you could totally do this beforehand and keep it in the fridge for a few days.
Once that's done you need to whisk together the dressing ingredients then griddle the bread until it has those amazing char marks on both sides.
Then simply scoop spoonfuls of the tomato and olive mixture onto the slices of bread and top with drizzles of the za'atar buttermilk dressing.
HOW TO MAKE OLIVES AND TOMATOES ON TOAST IN THREE EASY STEPS:
- Make the dressing. Whisk together all the dressing ingredients.
- Mix the topping. Mix the tomatoes, olive and chives together with olive oil and seasoning.
- Griddle the bread. Until it's all charred and toasted then top with the tomato mixture and dressing.
It's really that simple! And they turn out so tasty and fresh. I took the leftovers to work the next day and toasted the bread there and it was all just as delicious a second time round.
Want more? Get all my other vegetarian recipes before you go!
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe...
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT ONCE YOU’VE MADE OLIVES AND TOMATOES ON TOAST WITH ZA'ATAR BUTTERMILK DRESSING?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Use up any leftover tomatoes and olives in this simple summer salad.
Or you could use up the leftover ingredients in this Greek version!
Olive and Tomatoes on Toast with Za'atar Buttermilk Dressing
- 400 g Mixed Tomatoes large ones chopped, small ones halved
- 150 g Pitted Olives I used green ones
- 15 g Chives snipped
- 100 ml Buttermilk
- Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Za'atar
- Salt and Pepper
- Crusty Bread sliced
- Mix the tomatoes with the olives and chopped chives. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the buttermilk with za'atar and salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the bread slices with olive oil and griddle on both sides. Top them with the tomato mixture and drizzle with dressing and extra olive oil.
Did you make this recipe?Make sure you follow The Cook Report on Instagram and tag #TheCookReport so we can see what you've made!
Equipment you need to make this recipe...
[amazon_link asins='B00008GKDQ,B01N5SM863,B077SRHSSJ,B00GMMA7LC,B008VB2N2I,B00004OCNS,B000TARBC6' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='083f26cb-8b9e-11e8-a092-d3b32fc44345']