Sausage pasta is an easy Italian dinner recipe with a rich tomato sauce and sweet red peppers perfect made with pork or veggie sausages and served with a side salad.
Weeknight pasta for the win 🙌
I love this dish, it's so comforting and filling. This recipe came about because I was craving my sausage pasta bake but as much as I love that recipe I wanted something even quicker so I threw together this sausage pasta.
I used vegetarian sausages for this recipe because we're vegetarian during the week but you could easily switch them for pork sausages. You simply need to cook whichever ones you use according to the packet instructions.
The sauce is full of flavour from the balsamic vinegar and a pinch of sugar added before it's simmered for just 10 minutes or so until it's thickened and unctuous.
Why we love this sausage pasta:
- This can be made with either pork sausages or vegetarian sausages so it's great if you need a vegetarian recipe
- It's so easy to make and just requires a few simple steps
- It can be easily customised by adding extra veggies to make it even healthier
- You can prep this dish ahead by making the sauce, cooking the pasta and sausages as part of meal prep and then stirring together and reheating when you're ready to eat
Sausage Pasta Ingredients:
- Sausages: Use pork or vegetarian or any other type of sausages you like
- Dried Oregano
- Red Onion: Finely chopped, use white onions if you prefer
- Tomato Puree
- Red Pepper: Or use another colour if you like
- Pasta: I like rigatoni for this recipe but you could use any cut you like
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Balsamic Vinegar: For an added hint of tangy sweetness
Sausage Pasta Instructions:
- Cook the sausages and pasta: Cook the sausages according to the packets instructions. Boil the pasta until al dente.
- Make the sauce: Fry the onion and pepper over a medium heat then add the garlic, oregano, balsamic and tomato puree followed by the chopped tomatoes and sugar and bring to a simmer.
- Finish the dish: Take a mugful of pasta water before draining the pasta. Add the pasta and pasta water to the sauce with the chopped sausages and serve.
Expert tips for making sausage pasta:
- Add extra veggies to this pasta if you like. Broccoli or spinach would work really well
- Use whatever sausages you like. I used vegetarian sausages and they were delicious
- To make this recipe gluten free simply use your favourite gluten free pasta
- To make this recipe vegan make sure that your veggie sausages are suitable for vegans and leave off the parmesan when serving
Want more? Try these other pasta recipes!
- Chickpea Pasta with Roasted Broccoli Sauce
- Smoked Mackerel Pasta Salad with Asparagus
- Creamy Chicken and Bacon Pasta
- Roasted Garlic Spaghetti with Kale
- Pasta with Squid and Tomato Sauce
- 15 Minute Spicy Salmon Linguine
Sausage Pasta with Peppers & Tomato Sauce
- 6 Sausages meat or vegetarian
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1 clove Garlic crushed
- 1 Red Onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Puree
- 1 Red Pepper sliced
- 300 g Rigatoni
- 1 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- Salt and Pepper
- Parmesan to serve
- Cook the sausages according to packet instructions. Put a pot of salted water on for the pasta.
- Heat the oil over a medium heat and add the onion and pepper and cook until softened. Add the garlic, oregano, balsamic and tomato puree and cook for another couple of minutes then pour in the chopped tomatoes, add the sugar and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- While the sauce cooks add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to packet instructions. Slice the sausages.
- Remove a mugful of pasta cooking water before draining the pasta. Add the pasta and the mugful of pasta water to the sauce and toss together. Serve with grated parmesan.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!