These spiced beef and hummus bowls make a simple and tasty summer dinner. Topped with fresh tomatoes and herbs and served with pitta or flatbread it's the perfect easy meal.
Summer. in. a. bowl.
I honestly think all summer dinners should be like this. Light, fresh and super quick to put together. I made homemade hummus for this recipe (using this hummus recipe which make the most incredible smooth and creamy hummus) which made it take slightly longer than it otherwise would.
Especially because our blender packed up halfway through and we had to dig out the old one we've been meaning to get rid of. Anyway, you could absolutely use your favourite store bought hummus in this recipe and it would take just minutes to make which is an absolute dream in my opinion.
The beef is spiced with a mixture of my favourite spices and fried until just a little crispy and browned on the bottom. Then it's served on top of your hummus and topped with bright and fresh summer tomatoes. Perfection.
Why we love this recipe...
This is such a quick and easy dinner recipe which you can make using shop bought hummus so that it can be ready in just 15 minutes!
It's a light and healthy meal that's perfect for a summer lunch or dinner.
These bowls are so easy to customise and you could easily use chicken, turkey or lamb in place of the beef or try a difference crunchy summer vegetable on top.
Want to make them vegetarian or vegan? No problem! Switch the meat for spiced aubergine or even crumbled spiced tofu and you're sorted!
This section is here to provide further tips and ideas for alternative ingredients. The full recipe and instructions are included in the recipe card at the bottom of the post!
Beef Mince: This is fried until a bit crispy and browned for maximum flavour.
Spices: I added a mixture of ground coriander, cinnamon, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the beef.
Tomato Topping: The tomatoes are tossed with lemon juice and freshly chopped herbs for a bright freshness.
Hummus: You can make your own or just use store bought if you prefer.
How to make it
Fry the beef: Heat the oil over a medium high heat. Fry the beef, pressing into a layer and allowing to brown and crisp. Sprinkle over the spices then flip and stir and allow to crisp on the other side.
Make the topping: Mix the tomatoes with lemon juice and herbs.
Build the bowls: Spread hummus in the bottom of your serving bowls then top with the beef and tomatoes. Serve drizzled with olive oil.
Try these other summer dinner recipes!
- Tomato & Mozzarella Toasts
- Veggie Nachos with Black Beans
- Honey Soy Salmon with Noodles & Pickled Cucumber
- BBQ Jackfruit Bowls with Kimchi & Sriracha Mayo
- Roasted Vegetable Sandwich with Avocado Sauce
- Greek Spinach Pie with Homemade Phyllo
Spiced Beef Hummus Bowls
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 500 g Beef Mince (Ground Beef)
- 1 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- Pinch Chilli Flakes
- Salt and Pepper
- 250 g Cherry Tomatoes quartered
- 20 g Leafy Herbs (I used parsley and coriander but basil, chives or even dill would work) leaves picked and chopped
- ½ Lemon juiced
- 200 g Hummus store bought or homemade
- Olive Oil or Chilli Oil to serve
- Pitta or Flatbreads to serve
- Start by heating the oil over a medium high heat. Add the beef and press into a layer on the bottom of the pan, sprinkle over all of the spices and plenty of salt and pepper. Allow to cook for a couple of minutes until beginning to brown on the bottom then flip sections of the beef to brown the other side. Cook for another couple of minutes.
- While the beef cooks stir the chopped tomatoes with the lemon juice and herbs. Spread a couple of tablespoons of hummus in the bottom of your serving bowls. Top with the ground beef and tomatoes. Serve with a drizzle of olive or chilli oil and bread of your choice.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!