This spiced chicken with jalfrezi sauce is a fun way to mix up your roast dinner! Serve with a helping of mushroom rice to warm you up this winter.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
It’s Fridayyyy! What’s even better is that we’re going away tomorrow with some friends and I can’t wait.
I’m really excited to have a few days off work. I used to have a job I hated. I didn’t really talk much about it on here, partly because I was worried about someone from my office reading it (probably completely unnecessarily!!) and partly just because I was so miserable I basically just tried not to think about work at all when I wasn’t there.
In June I started at a new job and I absolutely love it (and I’m not just saying that because one of them might be reading this!!).
Still, as much as I love it I still feel the need to have a few days off every now and then. I mainly just hate getting up early, am I ever going to be enough of an adult to start liking getting up before 9am?! Sleep is just so great.
So, anyway, we’re going away tomorrow and I really should be packing and sorting my life out but I just wanted to share this delicious recipe with you first!
The spiced chicken with jalfrezi sauce is such a fun change from a traditional roast chicken. We served it on a Sunday evening with this amazing mushroom rice and we spatchcocked the chicken so it cooked in just 45 minutes which is awesome.
If you’re not sure how to spatchcock a chicken then you can follow the tutorial here. It’s surprisingly easy but if you don’t fancy it then just cook the chicken normally and adjust the cooking times accordingly.
Head over to my recipe index to get loads more chicken recipes!
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe…
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS SPICED CHICKEN WITH JALFREZI SAUCE & MUSHROOM RICE?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Spiced Chicken with Jalfrezi Sauce & Mushroom Rice
For the Chicken
- 1 medium Chicken about 1.7 kilos, spatchcocked
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
For the Mushroom Rice
- 250 g Rice
- 3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 6 Green Cardamom Pods
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 10 Cloves
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Onion sliced
- 125 g Mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic sliced
- 500 ml Water
- Pinch Saffron
- Flaked Almonds
- Heat the oven to 200°C. Rub the spices into the chicken, try and get some under the skin as well. Heat a griddle or skillet over a high heat then sear the chicken on both sides until the skin is brown and crisped. Cook for 45 minutes to an hour until juices run clear.
To Make the Mushroom Rice
- Heat the oil over a medium heat and add the cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, cloves and bay leaves and cook for a minute. Add the onion, fry for five minutes then add the garlic and mushrooms and fry for another 10 minutes.
- Add the rice and a sprinkling of salt and stir to coat the rice in the oil. Add the water and bring to the boil, stir in the saffron and cook for 15-20 minutes until the rice is tender. Serve topped with a sprinkling of flaked almonds.
To Make the Jalfrezi Sauce
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds, chilli and garlic and fry until browned. Add the tomatoes, a little salt and turmeric and cook until the tomatoes break down. Add the onion and pepper and cook until softened. Stir through the garam masala.
Did you make this recipe?Make sure you follow The Cook Report on Instagram and tag #TheCookReport so we can see what you've made!