This spicy lentil soup is my favourite vegan comfort food! It's such a healthy and hearty winter dish made with red lentils, curry powder and coconut milk.
The perfect comfort food for that between Christmas and New Year haze 🙌
I am obsessed with this soup. I actually find it crazy that it's taken me so long to add a lentil soup to the blog as it's one of my favourite easy and healthy things to make over the colder months.
There's nothing better than adding a little spice to a soup like this. When it's cold and you need something to warm you up then adding plenty of chilli is just the thing although of course you can lower the spicy levels to your taste if you prefer.
Lentils are also full of goodness and it's super easy to multiply this recipe so this is a dream recipe to make over the Christmas break if you've got family staying or friends popping in and need something quick to serve.
Why we love this spicy lentil soup...
It's vegan and gluten and dairy free which makes it perfect for pretty much everyone!
This soup is also super easy to make which mostly involves dumping everything in a pot and letting it simmer for 20 minutes.
You can easily add extra veggies to this soup to make it even healthier. I sometimes like to stir through a few handfuls of spinach or kale through it just before serving.
It's made with mostly store cupboard ingredients which means you can keep everything stocked up ready to make this soup whenever you fancy it.
Red Lentil Soup Ingredients
Aromatics: This is the key to getting the soup full to bursting with flavour. We start off with onion, garlic and ginger which is fried until soft and then curry powder and chilli flakes are added to get that lovely spicy background flavour.
Red Lentils: These are great to use in this soup because they cook so quickly and add a great heartiness.
Liquids: I used a tin of chopped tomatoes and one of coconut milk.
To serve: I sprinkled chopped coriander over the soup and added a dollop of Greek yoghurt and a wedge of lime for serving.
[amazon_link asins='B00FFH84RY,B00AYY1PKQ,B00AYY2A8C,B00FFH8FLE' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='976a86de-d406-459e-b51c-4523d6577b1c']
How to make curry lentil soup
Fry the aromatics: Heat the oil and add the onion, cook until softened. Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder and chilli flakes and cook until fragrant.
Add the liquids: First add the lentils then pour in the tomatoes, coconut milk and water and season well.
Simmer: Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes until the lentils are soft.
Equipment you need to make this recipe...
[amazon_link asins='B00VWMETF2,B00537PF9G,B073VY4RNY' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='2d88418e-bb69-48a6-9fd3-134c635815f9']
Want more? Try these other soup recipes!
- Mushroom Miso Soup with Soba Noodles
- Coconut Noodle Soup with Mushrooms & Edamame
- Veggie Pesto Pasta Soup with Kale
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup with White Beans
- Spicy Soup with Beans & Rice
- Leftover Turkey Soup with Noodles
- Creamy Coconut Kabocha Squash Soup
Spicy Lentil Soup with Coconut
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon Ginger grated
- 1 tablespoon Curry Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Chilli Flakes
- 150 g Red Lentils
- 1 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- Big Bunch Coriander stems and most leaves chopped with some left for serving
- 1 400g tin Coconut Milk
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Lime for serving
- Greek Yoghurt for serving
- Heat the oil in a big soup pot over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder and chilli flakes and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the lentils to the pot and stir to coat in the spices them pour in the tomatoes, chopped coriander, 500ml of water, coconut milk (keeping back a couple of tablespoons for serving if desired) and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes until the lentils are tender. Serve drizzled with the leftover coconut milk, coriander leaves, Greek yoghurt and lime wedges.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!