Crumbled tempeh is tossed in a mixture of spices then fried and served in a tortilla with a super quick cabbage slaw for these simple and delicious tempeh tacos!
Easy veggie tacos are a go 👏
It was only recently that I tried tempeh for the first time. Up until then I'd always been a tofu girl but I was determined to try out this other vegetarian soy based product!
Tempeh has a bit of firmer texture than tofu and makes a great taco filling. I tossed the crumbled tempeh in a mixture of spices which gave it loads of great taco flavour.
I love this simple combination of spicy tempeh and a crunchy creamy slaw. It's packed with flavour and is such an easy dish to throw together.
Why we love this recipe...
The tempeh makes a great vegan taco filling made with plenty of spice and flavour without the meat or dairy.
It's such an easy recipe to make on a weeknight which takes just 15 minutes to throw together.
You can add all your favourite toppings to really make these tacos your own from fresh coriander to hot sauce to pickled red onions!
If you don't have tempeh or can't find it in the shops you could switch the tempeh for tofu or use the seasoning on chicken or beef instead.
Green Cabbage: Shredded and tossed with mayonnaise for a fresh and crunchy slaw.
Mayonnaise: I used Hellmans but you can switch for vegan mayo to keep the whole recipe vegan.
Tempeh: Crumbled into bitesize pieces.
Spices: I tossed the tempeh in a mixture of ground cumin, coriander, chilli powder and oregano before frying.
How to make it
Make the slaw: Shred the cabbage and toss with the salt in a bowl. Add the mayonnaise and set aside until ready to serve.
Make the tempeh: Mix together the spices in a bowl and mix with the olive oil. Crumble the tempeh and toss with the spice paste.
Cook the tempeh: Heat a drizzle of oil in a frying pan and add the tempeh. Fry for 5 minutes turning occasionally until browned. Heat the tacos in the microwave or on the stove and serve filled with the tempeh and slaw.
Does tempeh taste like meat?
Although tempeh has a bit of a meaty texture, it doesn't actually taste like meat. It has a very mild flavour which makes it perfect in recipes like these tacos as it takes on the flavour of the spices so well.
Is tempeh good for vegans?
Tempeh is great as part of a vegan diet because it's a good source of protein and vitamin B12.
Want more? Try these other taco recipes!
- Jackfruit Tacos
- Peanut Tofu Tacos with Cabbage Slaw
- Vegan Breakfast Tacos with Black Beans
- Chipotle Cauliflower Tacos with Greek Yoghurt Slaw
- Salmon Tacos with Quick Pickled Red Onions
- Easy Breakfast Tacos with Eggs and Chorizo
- Kidney Bean Tacos with Grapefruit Salsa
Tempeh Tacos with Quick Cabbage Slaw
- ¼ small Green Cabbage shredded
- ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt Flakes
- 1 tablespoon Mayonnaise use vegan mayo if needed
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 200 g Tempeh crumbled into bitesize pieces
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- ½ teaspoon Chilli Powder
- ½ teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 6 Small Tortillas
- Hot Sauce to taste
- Add the cabbage and salt to a bowl and toss. Add the mayonnaise and stir together well. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Mix together the spices and olive oil in a bowl. Add the tempeh and toss to coat.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and add a drizzle of oil. Once it's hot add the tempeh and a sprinkle over a pinch of salt. Toss in the oil and cook for 5 minutes, turning occasionally, until browned all over. While the tempeh cooks heat the tortillas in the microwave or over the flame of your stovetop.
- Divide the slaw between the tortillas and top with the tempeh. Serve with hot sauce.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!