This jerk roasted chicken is coated in jerk spice paste before roasting over chopped vegetables. Serve with a rich and tasty curry sauce made with the cooking juices!
I originally posted this recipe in December 2016 but I’ve now updated the photos. This is such a great recipe and a yummy change on a traditional roast.
Oh look, yet another whole roast chicken recipe!
As I mentioned before, we always have whole chickens knocking around the freezer (ok, not knocking, just taking up way too much space in our freezer which is in desperate need of defrosting), and sometimes it’s nice to do something a bit different with them than just plain old roast dinners.
As you’ve probably realised Will and I have obsession with all things jerk and coconut milk is one of my favourite ingredients. It just makes everything so creamy and delicious!
So to make this jerk roasted chicken you start off with making a lovely spicy jerk paste to rub all over the chicken which infuses the chicken skin with so much crazy flavour.
That goes in the oven for 45 minutes to get it cooking really nicely, it will smell amazing, trust me.
Once the first bit of roasting time is up the chicken goes onto a plate while you add the sweet potato, red onion and pepper to the roasting tin. Once that’s done pop the chicken back into the tin on top of the veg and return to the oven for the rest of the cooking time.
Once the jerk roasted chicken is cooked through you need to make that crazy tasty curry to serve it with. What’s so great about this is that it’s so super easy.
All you need to do is pop all the vegetables and pan juices on the hob and pour in a tin of coconut milk. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer until it’s thickened.
Make sure you serve it with my absolute favourite rice and peas recipe which you can find here. The curry will soak into the rice and it will taste insane.
Want more? Get all my chicken recipes before you go!
Keep scrolling to get the recipe…
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS ONCE YOU’VE MADE THIS JERK ROASTED CHICKEN WITH COCONUT CURRY?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Jerk Roasted Chicken with Coconut Curry
- 1.7 kg Whole Chicken
- 2 Red Onions in wedges
- 2 Red Peppers chopped into chunks
- 4 Sweet Potatoes peeled and chopped
- 400 g tin Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 400 ml Coconut Milk
- 1/2 bunch Coriander chopped, to serve
- 1 Red Onion chopped into large chunks
- 5 cloves Garlic peeled
- 1 Scotch Bonnet Chilli deseeded
- 3 Green Chillies deseeded
- 1/2 bunch Coriander chopped
- 1 bunch Thyme chopped
- 2 Limes zest and juice
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Ground Allspice
- Preheat the oven to 180° C. Make the jerk paste by placing all of the ingredients in a food processor and blending to a paste. Place the chicken into a large roasting tin and rub all over with the jerk paste. Place the juiced lime halves inside the chicken. Cook the chicken for 45 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and gently place the chicken on a plate. Place the onion, pepper and sweet potato into the tray and stir thoroughly to coat with the jerk paste. Season and place the chicken on top of the vegetables. Drizzle with olive oil and return to the oven at 160°C for another 45 minutes. Make sure the chicken is cooked and then remove from the oven.
- Place the chicken on a board to rest then put the roasting tin on the hob (or pour the vegetables and cooking juices into a saucepan) and bring to a medium heat. Stir in the coconut milk, bring to the boil and then simmer until the sauce has thickened. Serve the chicken with the curry sprinkled with chopped coriander and some rice and peas.
Did you make this recipe?Make sure you follow The Cook Report on Instagram and tag #TheCookReport so we can see what you've made!
Equipment you need to make this recipe…