These BBQ jackfruit bowls are so easy to make and are full of healthy ingredients. Top with kimchi, avocado and a big drizzle of sriracha mayo for a delicious vegetarian dinner!
I am so excited about these bowls!
Building bowls like this is one of my favourite ways to eat. You start off with a grain then top it with veggies, protein and sauce of your choice until you've created a big bowl of deliciousness.
For this one I wanted to go with a Korean BBQ vibe but keep it vegetarian (and easily made vegan!) so I decided to make it with jackfruit and it turned out so well.
You can add pretty much any vegetables you like but I went with shredded red cabbage for plenty of crunch, creamy avocado and loads of kimchi.
I used rice as a base but you could use whatever grain you like.
Why we love these BBQ jackfruit bowls...
They're vegetarian and are easily made vegan by switching the mayo to your favourite brand of vegan mayo.
You can easily customise these bowls to add whatever vegetables and other toppings you like! I went for red cabbage and avocado but you could use some roasted veggies or crunchy cucumber and carrots.
They're so easy to make and the BBQ jackfruit comes together pretty quickly. You can even make it ahead for meal prep.
They make great leftovers so you can make a big batch at the beginning of the week ready for serving up everyday for lunch and dinner.
Jackfruit Pulled Pork Bowls Ingredients
Canned Jackfruit: You can buy this from most supermarkets now but if not you can get it on Amazon (link is below).
Onion and Garlic
Gochujang: Korean chilli paste which you can usually get in supermarkets.
Jackfruit Sauce Ingredients: Rice vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar and sesame oil go into the jackfruit to make it super flavourful.
Sriracho Mayo: Store bought mayonnaise, sriracha and lime juice are whisked together before drizzling over the bowls.
Grain: I made these bowls with rice but you could use whatever grain you like.
Veggies: Add shredded red cabbage, avocado slices and spring onions to these bowls.
Kimchi: This adds the best funky tang to the bowls, I can't get enough!
[amazon_link asins='B013HB0CC4,B07QPJ2ZHN,B000YBN4C6,B001FB6BA6,B004A8XJPG,B00KC3EPU6,B010VIXBP6' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='c3a10a51-254e-467f-8476-af5df705c132']
How to make barbecue jackfruit bowls
Make the jackfruit: Fry the onion then the garlic before adding the jackfruit, gochujang, rice vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar and BBQ sauce. Simmer for 30 minutes then cook for 15 minutes in the oven.
Prepare the rest of the bowls: Cook the rice according to packet instructions. Whisk together the mayo ingredients.
Assemble the bowls: Split the rice between bowls then top with jackfruit, veggies and sriracha mayo.
Equipment you need to make this recipe...
[amazon_link asins='B00SHJN61Q,B073VY4RNY,B07F32RS2F,B000YDO2LG' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='459d822f-35ec-489d-a736-f51559204cb1']
Want more? Try these other vegetarian recipes!
- Vodka Pasta Sauce with Sun Dried Tomato
- Mushroom Miso Soup with Soba Noodles
- Cheesy Cauliflower Steak with Pine Nuts
- Roasted Squash with Crunchy Panko Coating
- Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
- Mushroom Stroganoff with Rosemary
- Green Quesadilla
BBQ Jackfruit Bowls with Kimchi & Sriracha Mayo
For the Jackfruit
- 2 560g tins Jackfruit drained and separated
- 1 Onion sliced
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoon Gochujang
- 2 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 2 tablespoon BBQ Sauce
For the Sriracha Mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- ½ Lime juiced
For the Bowls
- 350 g Rice
- ¼ Red Cabbage shredded
- Kimchi chopped
- 1 Avocado sliced
- 2 Spring Onions sliced
- Sesame Seeds
- Heat the sesame oil over a medium heat and add the onion. Fry for 10 minutes until softened and beginning to crisp. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the jackfruit, gochujang, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, BBQ sauce and 75ml water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 220°C/430°F. Spread the jackfruit on a lined baking sheet and place in the oven. Cook for about 15 minutes until beginning to crisp.
- While the jackfruit cooks cook the rice according to packet instructions. Whisk together the sriracho mayo ingredients.
- Assemble the bowls by splitting the rice between 4 bowls and topping with the jackfruit, red cabbage, kimchi, avocado slices, spring onion and sesame seeds. Drizzle with the mayo.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!