Butternut squash pasta sauce is the perfect autumn comfort food recipe. This creamy vegetarian pasta sauce made from roasted squash is flavoured with fresh rosemary for a warming dinner.
Is this not just the most autumnal dish?
We tend to eat a lot of butternut squash as soon as the temperature starts to drop. Not only is it in season, it’s also got a flavour that screams autumn to me.
This pasta sauce has a creamy sweetness from the squash and creme fraiche plus it’s got a lovely herby flavour thanks to the rosemary sprigs which are fried gently in butter at the start of the cooking process.
I threw some spinach in there too which helps to break up the creaminess a little bit and helps up the healthiness a little bit. Obviously we need to be upping those vitamins since it’s now officially cold season!
Why we love this butternut squash pasta sauce…
It’s full of autumn flavour from the creamy butternut squash and fresh rosemary which makes it perfect for this time of year.
This is a delicious vegetarian recipe which is great for your meat free days.
It’s such an easy recipe to make with minimal hands on time which makes it such a great weeknight dinner.
You can easily make this recipe vegan by leaving out the creme fraiche or switching it for a little coconut milk.
Butternut Pasta Sauce Ingredients
Butternut Squash: Or if you prefer you could try a different winter squash.
Butter: Makes the base of the sauce.
Rosemary: Gently fried to flavour the butter before making the rest of the sauce.
Creme Fraiche: I like the creamy tang this adds to the sauce but you could switch it for coconut milk if you want it to be vegan.
Spices: I like to add a pinch each of cinnamon and nutmeg to get that warming richness.
Parmesan: I like to add a sprinkling of grated parmesan to this dish before serving to add a much needed touch of saltiness.
Products from Amazon.co.uk
How to make butternut squash pasta sauce
Roast the squash: Place the squash pieces on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Leave to cool slightly then blend until smooth.
Make the sauce: Melt the butter in a saucepan then add the rosemary and fry gently for 5 minutes then remove the rosemary. Add the squash, creme fraiche, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and pepper.
Finish the dish: Move cooked pasta from the water to the sauce and stir to coat. Serve topped with parmesan.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- LE CREUSET Signature Enamelled Cast Iron Round Casserole Dish with Lid, 22 cm, 3.3 Litre, Volcanic, 211772209Price: £157.33Was: £205.00
- Price: £32.62Was: £39.99
- Price: £9.76
Want more? Try these other squash recipes!
- Butternut Squash Salad with Wild Rice
- Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus
- One Pot Orzo with Roasted Butternut Squash
- Four Cheese Butternut Squash Lasagne with Spinach
- Roasted Butternut Squash Pizza with Pancetta
Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
- 1 Butternut Squash peeled and quartered
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 3 sprigs Rosemary
- 4 tbsp Crème Fraiche
- Pinch Cinnamon
- Pinch Nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper
- Pinch Chilli Flakes
- 300 g Fresh Spinach
- Parmesan to serve
- 400 g Pasta
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Put the squash quarters on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Place in the oven and cook for 40 minutes until soft. Leave to cool for a few minutes then blend in a food processor until smooth.
- Put a pot of salted water on to get to a boil. Cook the pasta according to packet instructions.
- Melt the butter over a medium heat and add the rosemary sprigs. Cook gently for 5 minutes until the butter has browned slightly then remove the rosemary and set aside. Add the squash puree, crème fraiche, nutmeg, cinnamon and chilli flakes. Season with salt and pepper. Turn the heat to low to keep the sauce warm while the pasta finishes cooking.
- Add the pasta to the sauce along with the spinach and toss well to coat. Serve topped with grated parmesan.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!