Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
If there’s anything that’s going to make mac and cheese more comforting it’s adding sweet potato to the cheese sauce. This is a comforting baked pasta recipe perfect for a winter dinner!
Hello beautiful cheesy pasta goodness, I was definitely 100% in need of you this time of year 😍
I love a baked pasta. It’s always amazing to have a big dish of pasta baking in the oven, filling the house with gorgeous smells and getting all gooey and crispy round the edges.
In winter I have a few go tos including this one pot cheese and tomato pasta bake and of course a baked mac and cheese.
This year I’ve been making a new version of mac and cheese with sweet potato stirred into the sauce and it is the most indulgent and comforting recipe.
The salty cheese and sweet potato is one of the best combinations.
Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese Ingredients:
- Sweet Potatoes: Peeled and chopped then quickly cooked until you can mash them to add to the sauce
- Macaroni: If you prefer a different shape of pasta then go ahead and use that instead
- Butter, Flour and Milk: To kick off that creamy sauce
- Dijon Mustard: I love adding a little mustard to cheese sauce, it gives it that little kick which is so yum
- Gouda and Cheddar: Two amazing melty cheeses that work perfectly with the sweet potato in this mac and cheese
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese Instructions:
- Cook the sweet potato: Heat the oven. Boil the sweet potato for 10 minutes until soft then mash with a fork. Cook the pasta.
- Make the sauce: Melt the butter and add the flour, whisk together then slowly add the milk and continue to whisk until thickened. Add mustard.
- Make the mac and cheese: Mix the cooked pasta with the sweet potato, gouda, cheddar and sauce. Tip into a baking dish and cook for half an hour.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese Variations:
- Use different cheeses: Add whatever you favourite cheese is, most would work pretty well in this mac and cheese although I do prefer something with a bit more flavour
- Switch the sweet potato for butternut squash: I think this would work really well if you prefer it
- Add more vegetables: If you want to up the veg content a bit you could stir some spinach through or add some cooked broccoli
This sweet potato mac and cheese would be amazing served up at a family gathering over this festive season. It’s so super comforting and will have everyone coming back for seconds.
It’s also a wonderful way of trying something a bit different while sticking to your comfort food classics.
Want more? Try these other pasta recipes!
- Creamy Penne with Roasted Cauliflower
- Creamy Mushroom Pasta with Thyme
- Eggplant and Mushroom Rotini
- 15 Minute Salmon Pasta with Broccoli
- Sweet and Spicy Sausage Lasagna
- One Pot Pasta with Chicken, Spinach & Mushrooms
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS SWEET POTATO MAC AND CHEESE?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Dijon mustard helps to add extra flavour to this classic comfort food recipe
Stir leftover cheddar through this creamy polenta
Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
- 2 Sweet Potatoes peeled and chopped
- 300 g Macaroni
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp Plain Flour
- 500 ml Milk
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 50 g Gouda
- 100 g Cheddar
- Heat the oven to 220°C/410°F. Bring a pot of water to the boil and add the sweet potato, cook for 10 minutes then drain and add to a bowl. Mash with a fork.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. While that's happening melt the butter in another saucepan and add the flour, whisk together to create a paste then slowly add the milk and continue to whisk until smooth and thickened. Add the mustard.
- Reserve a little pasta water then drain the pasta and add it to the sweet potato with the gouda, cheddar and white sauce. Stir together, adding a little pasta water if needed. Tip pasta mixture into a baking dish and cook for half an hour.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!