Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
This one pot pasta with chicken, spinach & mushroom is ready in 30 minutes & makes a great weeknight meal. Add any veg you like to make it even healthier!
This recipe was originally published in February 2016 but I’ve since updated the photos. All the text below was written in the original post, just now with better photos! I hope you love this one pot pasta as much as I do ☺
We make pasta for dinner at least once a week. It’s easy, it’s versatile and it’s perfect comfort food. One pot pastas are some of my favourites because they also cut down on clean up which is super. This cheesy roasted red pepper one pot pasta is a great vegetarian option or even try making this pressure cooker version!
Last week I finally got round to trying out a one pot pasta and guess what, I’m in love! So easy, so tasty and so quick.
This was perfect for using up the left over veg we had in the fridge and you could definitely add anything else you had on hand.
Related: Try this five ingredient garlic mushroom pasta if you’re looking for a veggie option
I looked up quite a few recipes before trying this out because I knew I wanted to include the chicken thighs we had and I wanted to see how other people had done it.
A lot of people had cooked the chicken first and then taken it out while they cooked the rest of meal. I really wasn’t keen for that, my priority was being able to cook everything in the pot without having to remove and add things again. Basically just minimal faffing.
This recipe does exactly that – you cook the chicken for a short while to make sure it’s all sealed and then it finishes cooking while you gradually add all the rest of the ingredients.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS ONE POT PASTA WITH CHICKEN, SPINACH & MUSHROOM:
- Dried Oregano
- Smoked Paprika
- Chilli Flakes
- Chicken Thighs
- Button Mushrooms
- Baby Leaf Spinach
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Chicken Stock
- Worcestershire Sauce
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe for this one pot pasta with chicken, spinach & mushroom…
I used penne for this but you could really use any pasta at all. Once everything’s been cooking for a while the starch from the pasta helps to thicken the stock and tomatoes and makes everything taste amazing.
I wish I had more time to make my own stock from scratch but unfortunately I have to resort to the ready made stuff. At the moment I’m obsessed with these knorr stock pots, they just have so much more flavour than the cubes.
Tips for making this one pot pasta with chicken, spinach & mushroom:
- Start off by frying the onion, garlic and chicken in the pot you’re going to cook the pasta in. Sealing the chicken first helps to keep all the flavour in there.
- Add the mushrooms and all the liquid along with the pasta and simmer until the pasta is cooked. If the sauce is still a bit liquidy leave it to stand for a couple of minutes and the starch from the pasta will help to thicken it.
How was everybody’s weekend? Already it seems like so long ago but I did get to eat out a few times. I’ll be reviewing one of the restaurants we went to later in the week so keep an eye out for that!
Hope you all had fantastic Mondays, enjoy x
Love pasta as much as I do? Get all my pasta recipes right here!
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS ONE POT PASTA WITH CHICKEN, SPINACH & MUSHROOM?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
One Pot Pasta with Chicken, Spinach & Mushroom
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 4 Skinless and Boneless Chicken Thighs sliced
- 200 g Button Mushrooms sliced
- 150 g Baby Leaf Spinach
- 400 g Pasta
- 1 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 litre Chicken Stock
- 120 ml Milk
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese to serve
- Heat the oil over a medium heat. Cook the onion for a few minutes until softened. Add the garlic, spices and chicken and cook until the chicken is almost cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, cook for a few more minutes. Add the pasta, tomatoes, stock, Worcestershire sauce and milk plus a big sprinkling of salt and pepper. Bring everything to the boil and then simmer for about 10-15 minutes. I found that the pasta took a little longer to cook than normal so you might need about 15 minutes.
- A few minutes before the end of cooking add the spinach and let wilt into the pasta. Once the pasta is cooked serve topped with a sprinkling of parmesan if you like.
Did you make this recipe?Make sure you follow The Cook Report on Instagram and tag #TheCookReport so we can see what you've made!
Equipment you need to make this recipe…