Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
This one pot gnocchi bake with rich tomato sauce and topped with melty mozzarella cheese is a comforting vegetarian dinner. It’s perfect for a weeknight family dinner!
Super simple dinners are where it’s at on a weeknight 🤩
One pot dinners are my jammmm. I am somewhat obsessed with the whole concept because I hate tidying up and cleaning, especially after being at work all day, so only using one pot means I can spend more time in front of Netflix with Will and Bernie instead of cleaning up the kitchen.
Of all the one pot recipes I’ve tried I think pasta and gnocchi lends itself the best to this method. One of my all time favourites is my one pot lasagne which bakes into a rich, comforting dish in no time at all but now this gnocchi is vying for first place on that list.
So to make this one pot gnocchi bake I started off by making a simple but flavourful tomato sauce. I had planned to add milk to the sauce but when it came to making the recipe we only had almond milk so I used that instead and it worked really well.
I mentioned before we’ve been trying out different plant based milks recently. I’d been able to make really good hot drinks with them including oat milk in tea, cashew milk hot chocolate and almond milk lattes but I hadn’t tried them in cooking before this sauce and I was really pleased with the results.
Other than the milk I added red wine and plenty of herbs to the sauce to really round out the flavour then I stirred through the gnocchi and topped the whole thing with mozzarella and a handful of grated cheddar before baking for 15 minutes.
One Pot Gnocchi Bake Ingredients:
- Olive Oil, Onion and Garlic: The beginnings of all great Italian recipes, the onion and garlic is fried gently in the oil until super soft and fragrant
- Chopped Tomatoes: Use whatever your favourite tinned brand is
- Milk: I used almond milk but cows milk will also work fine or whatever type you have on hand
- Red Wine: I use whatever red wine I have in the cupboard but if you prefer then feel free to add stock instead
- Herbs: A bay leaf and dried oregano are added to the sauce to get that extra Italian flavour
- Gnocchi: I always use store bought gnocchi, especially on weeknights when I need quick and easy
- Cheese: The whole dish is topped with slices of mozzarella and some grated cheddar before baking to get it super cheesy and delicious
Products from Amazon.co.uk‹ ›
Keep scrolling to the bottom of this post to get the full recipe!
One Pot Gnocchi Bake Instructions:
- Start the sauce: Heat the oven. Fry the onions gently in olive oil then add the garlic and cook for a little longer.
- Add liquids and seasonings: Pour in the tomatoes, milk and red wine then add the bay leaf and oregano and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Bake: Add the gnocchi to the sauce, top with the mozzarella and cheddar and bake
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £3.46Was: £3.99
- Price: £8.84Was: £9.95
Want more? Try these other gnocchi recipes!
- Tomato Basil Gnocchi Soup
- Cheese and Tomato Baked Gnocchi
- One Pan Potato Gnocchi with Mushrooms & Blue Cheese Sauce
- Cheesy Baked Gnocchi with Kale & Brussels Sprouts
- Easy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Summer Gnocchi Skillet
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS ONE POT GNOCCHI BAKED WITH TOMATO & MOZZARELLA?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Use up leftover red wine in this comforting vegetable stew
The sauce for this aubergine parmigiana uses dried oregano
One Pot Gnocchi Bake with Tomato & Mozzarella
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 400g tins Chopped Tomatoes
- 200 ml Milk
- 200 ml Red Wine
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 500 g Gnocchi
- 150 g Mozzarella sliced
- 50 g Cheddar grated
- Basil Leaves to serve
- Heat the oven to 210°C/410°F. Heat the oil in large skillet or pot over a medium low heat, add the onions and fry for a couple of minutes. Season well. Add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes, wine and milk followed by the bay leaf and oregano, bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the gnocchi and stir through. Remove from the heat, top with the mozzarella and cheddar, place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Serve topped with basil.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin this recipe for later!