Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
This aubergine parmigiana recipe is simple, delicious and filled with incredible Italian flavour. I like mine topped with a sprinkling of panko breadcrumbs to add an extra crunch.
I am so obsessed with aubergine recipes. It’s in my top three vegetables because it’s so versatile and works as an amazing central element to so many vegetarian recipes.
The inspiration for making an aubergine parmigiana came from this baked aubergine with tomato sauce recipe. That rich tomato sauce and thin layers of aubergine gives me such joy and pretty much the only way it can be improved is by adding a lot of cheese.
But before I get to the recipe I just want to mention the fact that I’ve been having a few issues with my site recently that might have affected some of you.
Last week I noticed that my site was freezing sometimes during scrolling which was extremely annoying so I got in touch with my host and they said that I needed to upgrade my hosting. I put that in motion on Monday morning and from that point my site was redirecting to some very random sites which was probably very confusing to anyone who happened to visit during that time!
I’m so sorry if you tried to visit and had any problems, everything should be back to normal now and hopefully my site will be working even faster than before!
Anyways, now we’ve cleared that up, let’s get back to the really important stuff like this cheesy baked aubergine goodness.
This recipe is made up of thin slices of aubergine (use a mandolin for this if you can, this is the one I use), a rich and flavourful tomato sauce, mozzarella, parmesan and panko breadcrumbs.
The panko is definitely not traditional but I think it adds the most amazing crunch to the top. If you can’t get your hands on panko then feel free to use normal breadcrumbs or leave them off all together.
Ingredients you need to make this aubergine parmigiana
- Olive Oil
- Dried Oregano
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Cherry Tomatoes
Products from Amazon.co.uk‹ ›
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe…
Can I freeze aubergine parmigiana?
To freeze aubergine parmigiana follow the instruction until the aubergine and tomato sauce is layered in a baking dish. Leave to cool then cover and freeze.
How to reheat frozen aubergine parmigiana
On the day you want to eat the aubergine parmigiana defrost thoroughly then top with the mozzarella, parmesan and panko and cook for 20-30 minutes until golden and crispy on top.
How to make aubergine parmigiana
- Heat the oil and add the onion followed by the garlic and oregano. Add water and cook until it’s evaporated.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for 20 minutes until thickened.
- While the sauce cooks griddle the aubergine slices until softened then layer them with the sauce in a baking dish.
- Top with mozzarella, parmesan and panko and bake for 20-30 minutes.
Although it takes a little while to put this together it’s simple to make and tastes incredible. This is one of the recipes that Will is still talking about because he loved it so much and we can’t wait to make it again.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £17.15
- Price: £11.41Was: £16.50
- Price: £8.39
- Price: £8.99Was: £9.95
Keep scrolling to get the full printable recipe…
Want more? Try out some of these other aubergine recipes!
- Eggplant Gratin with Feta Cheese
- Baked Aubergine with Tahini and Goat’s Cheese
- Miso Glazed Aubergine
- Roasted Aubergine with Satay Sauce
- Eggplant Parm Grilled Cheese
- Vegetarian Spaghetti and Meatballs
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS AUBERGINE PARMIGIANA WITH PANKO?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
This baked feta is the perfect way to use up cherry tomatoes
If you’ve got leftover panko you can use it in these salmon burgers
Aubergine Parmigiana with Panko
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 200 ml Water
- 1 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 250 g Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 Aubergines thinly sliced lengthways
- 250 g Mozzarella
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Heat the olive oil over a medium heat and add the onion, cook for 5 minutes until softened then add the garlic and oregano and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Pour in the water and raise the heat slightly, cook until the water has evaporated then add the chopped tomatoes and cherry tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering heat a griddle over a high heat and brush with a little more olive oil. Griddle the aubergine in batches until slightly softened.
- When the sauce has finished cooking the cherry tomatoes should have burst and the sauce should have cooked down and thickened slightly.
- Start layering your aubergine parmigiana. Grab a baking dish and start with a layer of aubergine slices followed by sauce, repeat the process until you've finished all your ingredients. Top the dish with the mozzarella and big sprinkling of parmesan and panko. Bake for 20-30 minutes until the cheese is browned.
Did you make this recipe?Make sure you follow The Cook Report on Instagram and tag #TheCookReport so we can see what you've made!
If you like the sound of this recipe, make sure you pin it for later!