Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
This delicious vegan chickpea stew gets a kick of spice from the harissa paste and is bulked out with aubergine and a rich tomato sauce. It’s healthy and so easy to make!
I can’t get over how good this stew is! Or that it’s vegan, gluten free and just generally super good for you 💕
We’ve really overindulged this Christmas. I mean that’s fine – it’s what you’re meant to do over the festive season and we had a lovely time but now I’m back at work and ready to reel it back in somewhat.
I don’t like to get too controlling with what I eat so when I’ve been eating and drinking a lot for a few weeks I just like to start serving up healthy dinners like this harissa chickpea stew to keep me full and satisfied.
Oh, and speaking of which, I just posted 31 healthy dinner recipes to make in January and there are some amazing ideas in there for getting things back on track this month.
Anyway, back to this stew, it’s one of those super simple recipes which uses a few really flavourful ingredients to make something really delicious.
Harissa is one of my absolute favourite ingredients to add so much flavour to all kinds of dishes. It works really well in this sheet pan harissa chicken and potatoes as well as a dressing ingredient for this harissa halloumi salad.
I’ll link to my favourite brand below but if you’d like to make your own then Simply Delicious has a wonderful recipe for homemade harissa.
Harissa Chickpea Stew Ingredients:
- Chickpeas: I used tinned ones drained and rinsed but feel free to soak and cook dried ones if you prefer
- Aubergine: One of my favourite vegetables and the perfect one for bulking up healthy stews like this one. If you love it too then check out all my other aubergine recipes
- Harissa Paste: Store bought or homemade
- Herbs: I love to stir through a big bunch of fresh herbs at the end of cooking, I went with parsley and dill but any leafy herbs would work well
- Lemon Juice: The perfect thing to add a little zing just before serving
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Harissa Chickpea Stew Instructions:
- Cook the vegetables: Heat the oil and add the onion then cook for 5 minutes and add the aubergine and garlic.
- Add the liquids: Stir the harissa paste into the vegetables then pour in the stock and tomatoes.
- Simmer: Bring to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes then add the chickpeas, juice of a lemon and chopped herbs.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Price: £3.46Was: £3.99
Price: £8.99Was: £9.95
H&S® Manual Lemon Squeezer - Heavy Duty - Juice Extractor Single Press Hand Lime Citrus Fruit JuicerPrice: £9.99Was: £29.99
Price: £10.49Was: £14.00
Harissa Chickpea Stew Variations:
- Add more vegetables: If you want to up the veg content then I think some spinach or kale stirred through the stew would be really delicious
- Use different herbs: I think a handful of fresh herbs stirred through at the end of cooking really brings this stew to life, if you’re not a fan of dill and parsley then try coriander or basil
- Switch up the flavour: Instead of harissa you could try some different spices, smoked paprika would be so good
Want more? Try these other vegan recipes!
- Vegan Lemon Risotto
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup with White Beans
- Vegan Enchiladas
- Vegetable Tagine with Chickpeas
- 15 Minute Chilli Garlic Brown Rice Noodles
- Pressure Cooker Curry with Potato & Aubergine
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS HARISSA CHICKPEA STEW WITH AUBERGINE?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Use up leftover aubergine in this delicious parmigiana
Dill adds the perfect flavour to these salmon burgers
Harissa Chickpea Stew with Aubergine
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Aubergine chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp Harissa Paste
- 1 400g tin Chickpeas
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 250 ml Vegetable Stock
- 1 Lemon
- Bunch Parsley chopped
- Bunch Dill chopped
- Heat the oil over a medium heat and add the onion, cook for 5 minutes then add the aubergine and garlic. Fry until everything is softened. Add the harissa pasta and stir so that all the vegetables are coated then add the tomatoes and stock.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes until the aubergine is really soft then add the chickpeas and the juice of a lemon. Stir parsley and dill through. Serve over couscous or another grain of your choice.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!