This cauliflower lentil curry is an easy vegan dinner recipe. Serve this healthy cauliflower dal topped with spinach cooked with mustard seeds for a quick weeknight meal.
Curry is my go to when I need something that’s:
This one is one of my all time favourites. It’s full of tender cauliflower and thickened with red lentils for the perfect mix of textures in every bite. It’s perfect on its own as more of a soup or with rice, naan of anything else you fancy.
I top it with some flavourful spinach leaves quickly cooked with mustard seeds and garlic for an extra hit of flavour.
The whole thing is so warming and tasty plus it’s pretty healthy. You could add any other vegetables you like along with the cauliflower and spinach, broccoli, kale and butternut squash would all be delicious.
Why we love this cauliflower lentil curry…
It’s a yummy vegan recipe which is packed with goodness from the vegetables and lentils.
You can use any vegetables you like in this recipe which makes it perfect for using up any leftover ingredients you’ve got in the fridge.
This recipe can be served in lots of different ways whether it’s on its own as a soup or with rice, naan or any other grain you like.
You can make this recipe as spicy or mild as you like by adjusting the amount of chilli flakes used.
Cauliflower Dal Ingredients
Onion & Garlic
Spices: Curry powder, chilli flakes and ginger add a lovely heat and flavour to this recipe
Cauliflower: Cut into florets
Red Lentils: This help to thicken the curry base
Vegetable Stock: Homemade or store bought
Coconut Milk: I prefer full fat, it adds a better creaminess
Spinach: Cooked with mustard seeds and garlic for topping the curry
[amazon_link asins=’B009M2FA48,B004RO8JBC,B019IMYXVW,B003U6RLVW’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’thecoorep-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’bac0e579-fd5c-44c3-95ad-453cf46a4e19′]
How to make lentil curry with cauliflower
Cook the spices: Start by frying the onion, garlic and ginger until softened then add the spices and cook until everything is soft and fragrant.
Add the rest of the ingredients: Add the cauliflower and lentils to the pot followed by the stock and the coconut milk. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Make the spinach: Fry the mustard seeds and garlic in a frying pan and add the spinach leaves then serve the curry topped with the spinach.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
[amazon_link asins=’B00VA5H8AY,B073VY4RNY,B000EHMR82′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’thecoorep-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’8ccd7975-8d82-4d57-8cdd-f2cd8a33545a’]
Expert tips for making cauliflower curry with lentils
Adjust the amount of chilli flakes used to make it more or less spicy to taste.
If you want to add more protein to this recipe you could add a tin of chickpeas or stir through some shredded chicken.
If you want to try it with different veggies you could always switch the cauliflower for broccoli or the spinach for kale if you’d prefer.
Want more? Try these other cauliflower recipes!
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Cauliflower Fritters with Tahini Yoghurt Dip
- Za’atar Tofu and Cauliflower
- Creamy Cauliflower and Chickpea Curry
- Cauliflower Gnocchi Sheet Pan Dinner
- Cauliflower Salad with Hummus
- Veggie Wrap with Curry Roasted Cauliflower
Cauliflower Lentil Curry with Spinach
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 1 tsp Ginger grated
- 1 Cauliflower cut into florets
- 200 g Red Lentils
- 1 litre Vegetable Stock
- 1 400ml tin Coconut Milk
- 2 tbsp Oił
- 2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 70 g Spinach
- Heat the oil over a medium heat and add the onion, ginger and garlic, cook gently for a couple of minutes until beginning to soften. Add the curry powder and chilli flakes and cook for another couple of minutes until the spices are fragrant. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Add the cauliflower and lentils to the pan and stir to coat then pour in the stock and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes until the cauliflower is soft and the lentils are breaking down.
- While the curry cooks heat the 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan and add the mustard seeds and garlic, cook for a couple of minutes then add the spinach, stir to wilt then turn off the heat. Serve the curry topped with the spinach, yoghurt and with rice and naan.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!