Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
For this easy vegetarian quesadilla grilled aubergine is folded into a soft tortilla with a sprinkling of cheese and a flavour packed chipotle paste. It’s perfect for a quick lunch or light dinner!
Vegetarian quesadilla + sour cream + hot sauce = 😍
Happy Sunday team!
It’s been a lovely weekend so far with lots of friends and catching up. I’m spending my Sunday on the sofa catching up with work and prepping some great recipe posts I’ve got coming up for you. There’s part of me that loves rainy Sundays because it gives me every excuse to cosy up inside in front of the TV.
But first let’s talk about this vegetarian quesadilla.
I have always been a big quesadilla fan. They’re such a simple idea and yet there’s a crazy amount of flavour going on. Plus they’re usually quick to make and work so well as a quick lunch or dinner.
For this quesadilla I wanted the aubergine to be the star of the show. My love of aubergine is reflected in all the aubergine recipes on this blog and this quesadilla is an excellent addition to that list.
To make the filling for these quesadillas you need to slice the aubergine super thin so that it can cook quickly on the griddle before adding to the tortilla. I use this mandoline for this.
Once they’re griddled you simply spread them on half of the tortilla, spread the other half with a mixture of chipotle paste, garlic and spices and sprinkle over some grated cheddar.
Then fold and griddle until you get those gorgeous char marks on both side. Then simply serve with a big helping of sour cream and some lime wedges.
Why we love this vegetarian quesadilla:
- They’re great for lunch or dinner, if you want to have them for dinner I’d recommend doubling the recipe or serving them with a side of rice
- They’re light and pretty healthy but with a good helping of cheese to balance things out because what is life without a moderate amount of cheese
- They’re suitable for vegetarians. If you want to make them gluten free then get some gluten free tortillas
Vegetarian Quesadilla Ingredients:
- Spice Paste: This is a mixture of smoked paprika, oregano, crushed garlic cloves, chipotle paste, cumin and brown sugar
- Aubergine (Eggplant): You need to make sure it’s thinly sliced (I use a mandoline for this) then sprinkled with a little salt and pepper
- Cheddar Cheese: Grated over the aubergine and then cooked until it gets all melty and delicious
- Tortillas: I used white flour tortillas but you could use corn or any other type you like
- Coriander (Cilantro), Lime Wedges & Sour Cream: To serve
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Price: £3.99Was: £4.15
Vegetarian Quesadilla Instructions:
- Make the spice paste: Mix all the spices with the chipotle paste in a bowl and set aside until ready to use.
- Cook the aubergine: Thinly slice the aubergine, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook on a griddle pan until softened and charred.
- Make the quesadillas: Place some aubergine slices, cheese and coriander leaves on half a tortilla, spread chipotle paste on the other side then fold and cook on a griddle until the cheese is melted and there’s char marks on both side.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Keep scrolling to the bottom of this post to get the full printable recipe…
Want more? Try these other aubergine recipes!
- Miso Aubergine and Herby Rice
- Aubergine Parmigiana with Panko
- Slow Cooker Dahl with Charred Aubergines
- Baked Aubergine in Tomato Sauce
- Sweet and Sour Crispy Aubergine
- Pressure Cooker Aubergine with Potato & Aubergine
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS VEGETARIAN QUESADILLA WITH CHIPOTLE AUBERGINE?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Use the chipotle paste in this light and spicy salad
Add leftover cheddar to these veggie burgers
Vegetarian Quesadilla with Chipotle Aubergine
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tbsp Oregano
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 tsp Chipotle Paste
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Aubergine sliced into thin rounds
- 100 g Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Tortillas
- Fresh Coriander to serve
- Lime Wedges to serve
- Sour Cream to serve
- Make the spice paste: Mix together the paprika, oregano, garlic, chipotle paste, cumin, sugar, salt and pepper and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Cook the aubergine: Heat a grill pan over a high heat. Drizzle olive oil and salt and pepper over the aubergine slices and grill for a couple of minutes on each side until charred. You might need to do this in batches. Remove the slices onto a plate.
- Make the quesadillas: Place a few slices of aubergine, a sprinkling of cheese and some coriander leaves on to half of each tortilla, spread a teaspoonful of chipotle paste on the other half of the tortilla and fold in half over the filling. Grill each quesadilla until the cheese has melted and you have char marks on both side, pressing down with a spatula if needed.
- Serve: Cut in half and serve with lime wedges, more coriander and sour cream.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!