Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
These easy vegetarian enchiladas are stuffed with a mixture of vegetables, quinoa and beans then topped with a spicy enchilada sauce and plenty of cheese!
Welcome to 2019 team! Let’s celebrate the new year with spicy and filling vegetarian enchiladas 😍
Who doesn’t love enchiladas? They’re so comforting and fillings and they’re definitely exactly what you need in January.
I am truly dreading going back to work but a plate of vegetarian enchiladas will probably make it just about bearable. Instead of your usual meaty filling of chicken or beef I decided to try out a vegetarian filling to help lighten up everyone’s favourite comfort food and I would possible go as far as to say these are the best vegetarian enchiladas!
You’ve got your onion, pepper and garlic to start off with and then you add in your quinoa and black beans and get everything mixed up with plenty of spices and a bit of your enchilada sauce. Oh and some cheese. And then everything is rolled up in tortillas and baked with more sauce and cheese.
Vegetarian Enchiladas Ingredients:
- Vegetables: All the Mexican classics! We’ve got onion, peppers, garlic and chillies all going in to give so much flavour
- Quinoa: The quinoa gets cooked up in the sauce which makes the whole thing so easy to make
- Beans: I used black beans in here but kidney beans would work just as well and they help to make the enchiladas extra filling
- Tortillas: I used flour tortillas but you could use corn tortillas if you prefer
- Cheese: Cheddar was my choice but you can use any hard cheese
- Enchilada Sauce: You could use a store bought one if you like, I based the recipe below on this enchilada sauce recipe from Gimme Some Oven and it’s so easy and tastes so good!
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Vegetarian Enchilada Recipe Instructions:
- Make the enchilada sauce: Heat the oil and whisk with the flour then add all the spices and slowly add stock then bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Make the filling: Heat the olive oil and cook the onions and peppers for 10 minutes until softened then add the garlic and chillies followed by the quinoa and 500ml of water and cook for 20 minutes. Add some of the sauce, the cheese and the beans.
- Assemble the enchiladas: Roll a few scoops of the filling into a tortilla and place into a baking dish. Repeat with the rest of the enchiladas then pour over the remaining sauce and sprinkle with a little more cheese then bake for 20 minutes.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £21.75Was: £29.00
- Price: £8.99Was: £9.95
- Price: Check on Amazon
- Price: £3.46Was: £3.99
Vegetarian Enchiladas Variations:
- Add more veggies: If you want to make these a little healthier then try adding even more vegetables to these enchiladas, some spinach stirred through the quinoa would be delicious
- Make it spicier: If you like things extra spicy then add some extra cayenne pepper to the sauce
Want more? Try these vegetarian Mexican recipes!
- Cheesy Mexican Rice and Vegetable Tortilla Stew
- Pomegranate Guacamole
- Spicy Soup with Beans and Rice
- Healthy Vegetarian Mexican Casserole with Rice & Beans
- Huevos Rancheros Baked Eggs
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING VEGETARIAN ENCHILADAS WITH QUINOA?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Use up quinoa in this healthy and filling salad
Whip up leftover coriander into the sauce for this paneer tray bake
Vegetarian Enchiladas with Quinoa
To make enchilada sauce
- 4 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 1 tbsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Cayenne leave out if you don't like it spicy
- 1 tsp Garlic crushed
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 litre Vegetable Stock
- Make the enchilada sauce. Heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the flour and whisk for a minute. Add the chilli powder, cayenne, garlic, salt, cumin and oregano then slowly pour in the stock whisking constantly. Simmer for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Heat the olive oil over a medium heat and add the onion and peppers cook for 10 minutes until softened then add the garlic and chillies and cook for another couple of minutes. Add the cumin and quinoa and 500ml of water and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add 200ml enchilada sauce, the beans and a handful of cheddar. Roll a few scoops of quinoa into a tortilla and place in a large baking dish, repeat until you've used all the ingredients. Pour over the rest of the enchilada sauce, sprinkle with the rest of the cheddar and bake for 20 minutes.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!