Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
Cheesy Mexican rice and vegetable tortilla stew is a tasty vegetarian weeknight dinner packed with beans, vegetables and spices!
It’s no secret that we love Mexican food at The Cook Report! It’s my go to when I want something a bit spicy and warming and I adore the fact that it can feature a hearty helping of cheese and carbs like in this Mexican rice and vegetable tortilla stew. Sometimes there’s just nothing better than sitting down to a big plate of enchiladas or a comforting bowl of chilli.
You know what’s really great? It’s Thursday. Which means it’s nearly the weekend. Which means I don’t have to go to work for two days which is just excellent because I can spend time eating and cooking!
You know what else is really great? This Cheesy Mexican rice and vegetable tortilla stew. It may have what appears to be an unnecessarily long title but that’s only because each of those elements just seemed too important to leave out.
Especially the cheesy part. That is the most important. Otherwise you’re just eating something healthy and no one wants that.
Although I guess you could very easily leave the cheese out of this recipe and you’d have something pretty healthy and vegan going on. I won’t judge if that’s what you’re into.
Alternatively, if you fancy going in the other direction you could very definitely add some meat in here and it would be equally awesome.
Basically this thing is pretty customisable and you should go to town and make it your own. Then come back here and let me know what you did so I can give it a go.
You can always count on Mexican flavours to give you a bit of an internal cuddle when you need it. Sometimes there’s just nothing better than the smoky, spicy flavours of cumin and chilli y’know?
I know you know otherwise why would you be here reading this ramble on your way to getting the recipe for this cheesy Mexican rice and vegetable tortilla stew?
This whole putting tortilla chips on top of your dinner definitely gets a yes from me. Some of them stay crunchy. Some of them go kind of soggy. It’s a perfect mix of textures.
If you want more vegetarian recipes then I got you. There’s plenty more rightttt here.
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS CHEESY MEXICAN RICE AND VEGETABLE TORTILLA STEW?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
How to Make Cheesy Mexican Rice and Vegetable Tortilla Stew:
Cheesy Mexican Rice and Vegetable Tortilla Stew
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Red Pepper chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 large Chilli chopped (leave the seeds in if you want it spicier)
- 2 tbsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne
- 2 litres Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 2 400g tins Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 400g tins Kidney Beans drained and rinsed
- 200 g Rice
- 100 g Cheddar Cheese grated
- Fresh Coriander, Tortilla Chips to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a medium high heat. Add the onion, pepper and chilli and cook until the vegetables are soft. Add the garlic and spices with a good sprinkling of salt and pepper. Stir so that everything is coated in the spices.
- Pour in the stock, tomatoes and beans and bring to the boil. Simmer for half an hour then add the rice and cook for another 15 minutes until the rice is tender. Stir through the cheddar cheese just before serving the put in bowls and top with the coriander and broken up tortilla chips.
Did you make this recipe?Make sure you follow The Cook Report on Instagram and tag #TheCookReport so we can see what you've made!
Equipment you need to make this recipe…