Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
There are few things better than a classic beef chilli con carne. Make sure you don’t forget the toppings, the more the better!
In this post I’ll show you how to make a chilli and all my favourite toppings for chilli con carne. It’s the ultimate delicious chilli con carne recipe!
Chilli is just the best isn’t it? It’s always been one of my ultimate comfort foods. It reminds me of dinners when I was a kid and my mum would make big pots of it with rice and greek yoghurt.
Then when I was at uni we’d have it in wraps with loads of grated cheese and sour cream and chive dip. Now that we’re grown ups, we’re all about the toppings. Cheese, lime, avocado, radish, coriander, extra chillies. The list goes on and on. However you have it it’s always delicious and always makes you feel better.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS CLASSIC BEEF CHILLI CON CARNE:
- Vegetable Oil
- Red Pepper
- Beef Mince (Ground Beef)
- Chilli Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Beef Stock
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Kidney Beans
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe for this classic beef chilli con carne…
Anyway, let’s talk about life for a second. My job’s been getting me down recently and I was thinking about something Will’s sister does on Facebook.
You’ve probably seen people do it – she shares three positive things that happened in your day and I figured it might be a good way to cheer me up so I’m going to give it a try on this here blog.
So, today, the first positive thing is that I showered last night so I got an extra 10 minutes in bed. Is that super lame? Maybe but I really love sleeping.
Ok, ok, second thing? It was such a beautiful day today! It was the first day that it felt like spring. There was sunshine and fresh air and it was still light when I left work. It’s crazy how much of a mood boost sunny weather is. I’m so excited for the clocks to go forward and to have gorgeous spring evenings again.
Final positive thing! I came home to my lovely, excellent, most wonderful boyfriend who had made me dinner before he went out for the night.
So I got to eat a delicious bowl of pasta (which he made following a recipe I’d written so I can blog it, I know, he just gets better and better) and now I’m writing this in front of the TV and feeling so glad that it’s Friday tomorrow.
So that’s me being positive. Tune in next time to find out some more mundane things about my life!
Anyway, this is my classic beef chilli con carne recipe. Our go to recipe. The one we’ve made hundreds of times when we just want something simple, delicious and comforting for dinner.
HOW TO MAKE CHILLI CON CARNE (STEP BY STEP):
- Fry the onion, garlic and pepper until softened and fragrant.
- Add the beef mince and spices and cook until the meat is completely browned and everything is coated in the spices.
- Add chopped tomatoes and beef stock and bring to a simmer. Bubble for at least 20 minutes but up to an hour and a half…the longer the better!
- Add kidney beans, cook for 10 more minutes then serve with rice and all your favourite toppings.
WHAT CAN YOU HAVE WITH CHILLI CON CARNE?
Rice is always my go to but it’s great in wraps if you prefer or even on its own if you’re trying to cut down on the carbs. Quinoa or another grain are also great options.
TOPPINGS FOR CHILLI CON CARNE
For toppings you can really let your imagination run wild. We go with avocado, sour cream, chillies, radish, tortilla chips, grated cheese and a few slices of fresh lime.
Keep scrolling for the full recipe…
Want more? Get all my other meat recipes before you go!
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS ONCE YOU’VE MADE THIS CLASSIC BEEF CHILLI CON CARNE?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Chilli Con Carne Recipe:
Super Tasty Classic Beef Chilli Con Carne
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 Red Pepper chopped
- 400 g Beef Mince (Ground Beef)
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Coriander
- 2 tsp Chilli Powder adjust for taste according to how spicy you like it
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 200 ml Beef Stock
- 1 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 400g tin Kidney Beans drained
- Rice, Tortilla Chips, thinly sliced Radishes, Avocado, Grated Cheese, Limes to serve
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large soup pot over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Tip in the garlic and pepper and cook for another 5 minutes.
- By now everything should be nice and soft so add in the beef mince and the spices and cook until the mince is browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and beef stock. Bring the chilli to a simmer then leave it for at least 20 minutes but up to an hour and a half depending on how much time you have. The longer it simmers the more the flavours will develop!
- 10 minutes before the end of cooking add the kidney beans. Serve the chilli with rice and loads of toppings!
Did you make this recipe?Make sure you follow The Cook Report on Instagram and tag #TheCookReport so we can see what you've made!
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £8.99Was: £9.95
- Price: Check on Amazon