Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
Make huevos rancheros super easy by baking the tortillas, sauce and eggs all in one dish. It’s the most delicious healthy vegetarian breakfast!
This breakfast will change your life I swear 🍳
It’s universally agreed that Mexican food is among the best food. It’s spicy and warming and full of so. much. flavour. So it only makes sense to have Mexican food for breakfast as well as every other meal.
Not only does this huevos rancheros baked eggs make breakfast super easy (you can make the sauce ahead for minimal prep in the morning) but it’s also equally as good for a relaxed breakfast for two as an impressive brunch with friends.
There’s nothing like pulling these baked eggs out the oven and digging into those runny yolks and rich tomato sauce. You can make one big dish or smaller ones for one or two people so there’s plenty of options for serving and it will ALWAYS look impressive.
Why we love this huevos rancheros baked eggs:
- Baked eggs make such a good breakfast, lunch or dinner thanks to being super fillings and healthy
- They’re so easy to make and you can prep the sauce ahead of time to make it even quicker
- These eggs are vegetarian and you can use corn tortillas to make them gluten free
What is in a huevos rancheros?
A classic huevos rancheros includes fried eggs on top of refried beans, sour cream and salsa all over a warmed tortilla.
For this baked eggs version I needed a sauce to cook the eggs in so I made a richly spiced tomato sauce with black beans stirred through and then used that to nestle the eggs into on top of tortillas in a baking dish, so good!
How do you make huevos rancheros easy?
To make this huevos rancheros baked eggs super easily it’s all about the prep. The sauce can be made ahead so get it ready the day before and store in the fridge in a sealed container.
In the morning heat the sauce for a few minutes in a saucepan, layer your tortillas in a baking dish, add the sauce and eggs and bake for 15 minutes.
Huevos Rancheros Baked Eggs Ingredients:
To make this easy huevos rancheros recipe you will need:
- Onion, Red Pepper, Chilli & Garlic: The beginnings of all good Mexican food, a little sweetness and plenty of spice.
- Chipotle Paste: We always keep chipotle paste in the fridge because we add it to so many dishes. If you’re in the states you could use a chipotle pepper in adobo. To use up extra paste you could make these chipotle cheese twists or these burritos with chipotle turkey and sweet potato chilli
- Black Beans: These are perfect in this dish but feel free to use kidney beans if you prefer.
- Tortillas: I used flour tortillas but go for corn if you like them better.
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Are huevos rancheros healthy?
This is such a healthy breakfast option which still tastes really indulgent. There’s so much goodness from the tomatoes, beans, pepper, chilli and eggs! Serve with some avocado and coriander for an extra boost of health and flavour.
Does huevos rancheros have meat?
This baked eggs version doesn’t include any meat and neither does the classic version but if you’re still hankering for meat then try adding some chorizo into the sauce before the tomatoes, it would work so well.
Huevos Rancheros Baked Eggs Instructions:
All you need to do to make these baked eggs is:
- Make the sauce: Fry the onion, pepper, chilli and garlic then add the chipotle paste, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock. Simmer for a couple of minutes then add the beans and remove from the heat.
- Layer the dish: Layer the tortillas in the dish and top with the sauce. Use a spoon to make wells in the sauce and crack the eggs into it.
- Bake: Serve topped with avocado, sour cream and coriander (cilantro).
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £16.59Was: £24.00
- Price: £8.99Was: £9.95
What do you serve with huevos rancheros?
This huevos rancheros baked eggs is really a whole meal in one but it definitely tastes even better with a couple of slices of avocado, some sour cream and fresh coriander (cilantro).
How long do baked eggs take?
I like to start checking the eggs from 10 minutes and leave them in the oven up to 15 minutes depending on how you like your eggs cooked.
Expert tips for making baked eggs:
- You can make the sauce ahead of time so this baked eggs recipe is super quick to whip up in the morning
- If you want to make these even healthier then you can add in whatever other vegetables you like, spinach or kale would be delicious
- You need to keep a close eye on the eggs when they’re baking. Start checking after 10 minutes, I check by gently wobbling the baking dish to see if the whites are set
Want more? Try these other egg recipes!
- Huevos Divorciados
- Easy Breakfast Tacos with Eggs & Chorizo
- Eggs with Limey Greens
- Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos
- Black Bean Breakfast Casserole
- Italian Shakshuka with Basil & Parmesan
Huevos Rancheros Baked Eggs
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Red Pepper chopped
- 1 Red Chilli chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 150 ml Vegetable Stock
- 2 tbsp Chipotle Paste
- 1 400g tin Black Beans
- 8 Tortillas
- 4 Eggs
- Coriander, Sour Cream and Avocado to serve
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Heat the oil over a medium heat and add the onion and pepper. Cook for a few minutes until slightly softened then add the chilli and garlic. Cook for another 5 minutes until everything is soft and then add the chipotle paste, stir to coat before pouring in the chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes until slightly thickened then add the beans.
- Layer tortillas in the bottom of a baking dish. Spoon over the sauce and beans. Use the back of a spoon to create 4 wells in the mixture and crack an egg into each one. Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the eggs are done to your liking. Sprinkle over chopped coriander and serve with sour cream and sliced avocado.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!