This skillet chipotle eggs and potatoes makes the best easy breakfast or dinner. The whole thing is made on the stove top and is full of Mexican flavour!
Are we into breakfast for dinner?
Kind of a rhetorical question because who the hell isn’t into breakfast for dinner?!
This chipotle eggs and potatoes is pretty much the perfect breakfast for dinner situation. It’s spicy, warming and filling as anything. Absolutely delicious served with some crusty bread and still healthy enough thanks to the kale that you can feel pretty good about your eating choices too.
The sauce is rich and spicy thanks to the chipotle paste and cumin. Chipotle paste is one of those ingredients that I keep in the fridge at all times, it’s amazing for adding sweet heat to so many dishes and in this eggs and potatoes it’s just awesome.
Why we love this chipotle eggs and potatoes with kale:
- As mentioned above this dish is great for breakfast, lunch and dinner because why should we restrict eggs to just being a breakfast food?
- It’s spicy and filling thanks to the chipotle paste and the potatoes and kale cooked into the sauce
- It’s easy to make with just a few simple steps which anyone can follow
- This dish is also vegetarian which makes it perfect when we’re avoiding meat during the week
I love this kind of dish where the eggs are cooked into the sauce like a shakshuka or baked eggs. They end up so flavourful and there’s something so amazing about breaking those yolks and mixing with the sauce scooped up with a nice piece of crusty bread.
One of the things I’ve struggled with a lot with this kind of dish, however, is cooking the eggs just right. So that the whites are set and yolks are runny. It’s an eternal struggle for me but when I cooked this dish I actually nailed it.
Once I cracked the eggs into the sauce Will came into the kitchen and told me to take the pan off the heat after just a few minutes. I always tend to overcook them but for once I listened to him and the eggs turned out perfect, turns out 3-4 minutes is the trick!
Chipotle Eggs and Potatoes with Kale Ingredients:
- Aromatics: This dish starts off with onion and garlic to make a flavourful sauce
- Spices: Chipotle paste and cumin make this sauce spicy and rich and create that Mexican flavour. Add extra chipotle paste to this vegetarian quesadilla
- Chopped Tomatoes: Whatever you favourite tinned brand is
- Eggs: I used 4 eggs for 2 servings because we were extra hungry but you can do 1 egg per person if you prefer
- Potatoes: I like to use the smaller potatoes chopped into halves or quarters
- Kale: I chop it up and add just before adding the eggs. Use up any leftovers in this halloumi, kale and white bean bake
Products from Amazon.co.uk‹ ›
Chipotle Eggs and Potatoes with Kale Instructions:
- Make the sauce: Heat the oil and fry the onion followed by the garlic, cumin and chipotle paste. Once softened add the stock and tomatoes and simmer until beginning to thicken.
- Add the potatoes and kale: Add the potatoes to the sauce and simmer for 15 minutes then add the kale and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Cook the eggs: Make wells in the mixture then crack an egg into each well and cover. Cook for 3-4 minutes then serve.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £10.99Was: £13.94
Can you add meat to eggs and potatoes?
If you’d like an extra boost of protein added to this dish then feel free to throw in some meat. Chorizo or sausage would both work really well or you could even add steak if you fancy it.
Want more? Try these other egg recipes!
- Springtime Pizza
- Turkish Eggs with Whipped Goat’s Cheese
- Asparagus Omelette with Cheese
- Easy Breakfast Tacos with Eggs & Chorizo
- Baked Frittata
- Breakfast Sandwich with Prosciutto & Watercress
Chipotle Eggs and Potatoes with Kale
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1-2 tbsp Chipotle Paste
- 1 tsp Cumin
- Salt and Pepper
- 100 ml Vegetable Stock
- 2 400g tins Chopped Tomatoes
- 4 Eggs
- 500 g Small Potatoes chopped
- 100 g Kale chopped
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until beginning to soften then add the garlic, cumin and chipotle paste and season well. Cook for another 2 minutes before pouring in the stock and tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Add the potatoes to the sauce and simmer, covered, for another 15 minutes until softened. Keep an eye on the sauce during this time and add a little water if it's starting to look dry. Add the kale and cover again for 2 minutes until bright green and wilted.
- Make 4 wells and crack the eggs into the sauce. Turn the heat to low and put a lid on the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes until the eggs are cooked. Remember the eggs will carry on cooking when you take it off the heat. Serve with crusty bread.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!