Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
This homemade breakfast sandwich made with crispy prosciutto, watercress and a runny fried egg is guaranteed to impress at your next brunch!
Check out this ridiculous breakfast sandwich 😍
One of my favourite things about weekends is having really special breakfasts.
Whether that means going out for brunch with Will or some friends or staying in and cooking up something delicious.
Recently I’ve been trying out some different breakfast and brunch ideas like these Turkish eggs and these huevos rancheros baked eggs but sometimes I just want to go back to basics and make a really good breakfast sandwich.
And this one was exactly what I wanted.
I have to admit that Will is normally the one that makes breakfast at the weekend while I stay in bed because he’s the best but on the odd occasion that I get up first I like to make something that I know he’s going to love like these sandwiches.
Why we love these prosciutto & egg breakfast sandwiches
- That crispy prosciutto is a complete revelation, it’s super flavourful, salty deliciousness and it’s the exact kind of ingredient that makes a weekend breakfast extra special
- The sandwiches are easily customisable. If you can’t get hold of watercress then switch for rocket (arugula) or baby spinach leaves, if you’re not sure about the prosciutto then go for bacon instead
- They only need a handful of ingredients so they’re one of my go to special breakfasts. I like to pick up the ingredients on a Friday on my way home from work so that I’m fully prepped to serve these sandwiches up the next morning
Breakfast Sandwich with Prosciutto & Watercress Ingredients:
- Prosciutto: This gets all crispy after a quick fry in a hot pan. It happens almost as soon as it touches the heat. If you can’t get prosciutto then use bacon
- Bread: Thick slices. I like a nice crusty loaf of white bread
- Butter: For spreading on the bread slices before frying to get them nice and browned (hey, no one said this sandwich was healthy!)
- Eggs: I like mine fried until a bit crispy around the edges and a tiny bit runny in the middle but you can do them however you like
- Watercress: Or any other green you like
- Mayonnaise: Spread a thin layer on your bread
- Dijon Mustard: Plus a thin layer of mustard over the mayo before sandwiching the whole thing together
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe!
Breakfast Sandwich with Prosciutto & Watercress Instructions:
- Fry the prosciutto and bread: Heat a drizzle of oil over a high heat and fry the prosciutto in batches for a 30 seconds, drain on kitchen paper. Spread butter over one side of each slice of bread and fry until browned.
- Cook your egg: I go for fried here because that’s the classic for a breakfast sandwich but if you prefer poached or even scrambled then go for it.
- Make your sandwich: Spread a thin layer of both mustard and mayo on one slice of bread, top with crispy prosciutto, watercress and your egg followed by the other piece of bread. Serve.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Price: £16.00Was: £24.00
Want more? Try these other savoury breakfast recipes!
- Easy Southern Sweet Potato Hash
- Vegetarian Breakfast Bowl with Hummus
- Easy Flatbread Brunch Pizzas
- Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos
- Mediterranean Eggs
- Easy Breakfast Tacos with Eggs & Chorizo
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS BREAKFAST SANDWICH WITH PROSCIUTTO & WATERCRESS?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Use extra butter in this indulgent prawn recipe
Leftover mayo can be used to make the sauce for these amazing veggie burgers
Breakfast Sandwich with Prosciutto & Watercress
- 6 slices Prosciutto
- 4 thick slices Bread
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 Eggs
- Handful Watercress
- 1 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1/2 tbsp Dijon Mustard adjust according to taste
- Heat a tiny drizzle of oil in a frying pan and add the prosciutto. It will start to crisp up immediately. Fry for about 30 second, flipping halfway through then transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread and fry in the same pan until browned and crispy. Remove to a cutting board. Fry your eggs to your liking.
- Spread a layer of mayo and a layer of mustard on the unfried side of two of the slices of bread. Top with 3 slices of prosciutto each followed by half the watercress, an egg and the other slice of bread (fried side out). Serve.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!