These vegan breakfast tacos are so easy and need just a few simple ingredients. Serve with a quick salsa and all your favourite toppings for a Mexican style breakfast!
Who doesn’t want a quick, healthy breakfast that’s also vegan?!
Tacos for breakfast is always an excellent idea. In fact pretty much any Mexican themed breakfast be it tacos, burritos…even nachos(?!) is all good with me.
These ones are vegan which I suppose means that they’re really ‘any time of day’ tacos because they don’t have any of your trademark breakfast fillings like eggs or bacon. But I made them for breakfast and then were perfect in that setting.
So feel free to make these whenever you feel like. They’re so ridiculously easy that you can make them even when you’re feeling super lazy on a weekend morning which is what we did.
We’re not vegan but I’m always trying to come up with tasty ways for us to reduce our meat and dairy intake (see also: this vegan stew) and vegan breakfast ideas are a priority so I was really happy with how these tacos turned out.
Why we love these vegan breakfast tacos:
- Well, to state the obvious, they’re vegan so they’re great for everyone and they’re full of delicious healthy vegetables and beans
- They’re great for breakfast but also great for any time of day thanks to the combination of spicy beans and light and tangy salsa
- If you’re not eating vegan you could definitely add an egg cooked whichever way you choose and it would be super tasty
- These are quick enough to make for a weekday breakfast but fancy enough to serve to guests because pretty much everyone is impressed by a table full of tacos
- It’s easy to make these gluten free by simply buying gluten free tortillas
Vegan Tacos with Black Beans Ingredients:
- Beans: Use black beans for these tacos but kidney beans would also work
- Spices: Cumin, coriander and garlic are tossed with the beans
- Tortillas: I like the little flour ones but you could use corn if you prefer
- Avocado: Slices to top the tacos
- Lime Wedges: To serve with the tacos for squeezing over before eating. Use leftovers in this spicy tofu sandwich
- Quick Salsa: Made from a mixture of fresh tomato, red onion, coriander (add any extra to this chickpea curry), chilli, garlic and lime juice…or you could use store bought if you’re short on time!
How to make vegan breakfast tacos (without tofu):
- Make the salsa: Toss together all of the ingredients with plenty of seasoning then set aside.
- Make the taco filling: Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan and add the garlic, fry for 30 seconds then add the beans and spices for for a few more minutes.
- Assemble the tacos: Char the tacos if you like then add a scoop of beans, salsa and avocado slices.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Expert Tips for Making these Plant Based Breakfast Tacos:
- These breakfast tacos are so quick to make, you just need to be organised. I recommend making the salsa first then you can quickly fry the beans in the spices, slice your avocado and lime and you’re ready to serve
- Another bonus about making the salsa first is that it give the flavours time to meld and the salsa comes out super flavourful
- If you have a gas stovetop then I would recommend charring your tortillas quickly on there before serving. Simply place them one at a time on the open flame for a couple of second then use tongs to flip them and then remove from the heat once they’re browned
- These tacos are also great served cold so they’re great for meal prep as you can make everything ahead of time and assemble when you’re ready to serve
Want more? Try these other breakfast recipes!
- Green Shakshuka
- Chipotle Eggs and Potato with Kale
- Avocado Breakfast Stack
- Breakfast Sandwich with Prosciutto & Kale
- Breakfast Crepes with Spring Herbs
- Vegetarian Breakfast Bowl with Hummus
Vegan Breakfast Tacos with Black Beans
- Olive Oil
- 1 400g tin Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1 clove Garlic crushed
- 6 small Tortillas
- 1 Avocado sliced
- Lime Wedges to serve
- 1 large Tomato chopped
- 1/2 Red Onion finely chopped
- Small bunch Coriander chopped
- 1/2 Red Chilli deseeded and chopped
- 1 clove Garlic crushed
- 1/2 Lime juiced
- Salt and Pepper
- Make the salsa by tossing together all the ingredients and seasoning well. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan, add the garlic and fry for 30 seconds then add the beans and spices and toss together. Fry for another couple of minutes then remove from the heat.
- Char the tacos if desired. Serve topped with a scoop of beans, the salsa and some avocado slices. Squeeze over a lime wedge before eating.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!