Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
This easy vegan chickpea curry is a healthy dinner which also makes great leftovers for lunches and simple dinners. Serve with a drizzle of coconut milk to make it extra creamy.
This is one of those dinners that we couldn’t stop raving about 🤩
Will even messaged me the next day while I was at work to tell me that he couldn’t stop thinking about how good it was. And I totally agreed with him.
I first made this on a Monday night when I really needed comfort food. Comfort food can come in various forms for me but I think something hearty with a bit of spice is pretty much the ultimate on a cold weeknight in March.
Will made a quick roti which was drenched in butter and worked perfectly with the rich spiciness of the curry and the whole thing was enough to put a massive smile on my face.
Why we love this chickpea curry with coconut milk:
There are so many things to love about this chickpea curry…
- First of all it’s vegan which makes it great for when you’re avoiding animal products, we aim to eat vegan once or twice a week for environmental reasons and with this kind of recipe we never miss the meat
- Apart from the coriander leaves for serving this recipe is made from entirely pantry ingredients which is one of the most dreamy things about it because you can make it even when you can’t be bothered to go out for fresh ingredients
- It’s also gluten free so if you’re avoiding gluten then this recipe is still great for you
Chickpea Curry with Coconut Milk Ingredients:
- Spices & Aromatics: This curry kicks off with onion, garlic, ginger and chilli and then you need to add all your spices which includes turmeric, curry powder and cumin for the most amazingly flavourful base to your curry
- Chickpeas: I used tinned in this curry which makes it super quick and easy
- Vegetable Stock: Again, store bought works fine but if you have homemade then feel free to use that instead
- Red Lentils: I love using red lentils because they cook so quickly
- Coconut Milk: I like full fat but switch out for a low fat version if you prefer
- Spiced Oil: This is drizzled over the curry before serving and is made with chilli flakes and cumin seeds
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Chickpea Curry with Coconut Milk Instructions:
- Fry the aromatics: Heat the oil over a medium heat, add the onion and cook until softened. Add the garlic, ginger and spices and fry for another couple of minutes.
- Simmer the chickpeas: Add the chickpeas to the pot followed by the stock and simmer for about 10 minutes then add the lentils and coconut milk and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Make the spiced oil: Heat the oil over a medium heat and add the chilli flakes and cumin seeds and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and drizzle over the curry before serving.
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe…
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £9.79Was: £14.00
- Price: £16.23Was: £17.95
Want more? Try these other vegetarian curry recipes!
- Vegan Thai Green Curry
- Pressure Cooker Vegetable Curry
- Tofu Katsu Curry
- Spicy Halloumi Curry with Potato
- Coconut Sweet Potato Lentil Dal
- Creamy Cauliflower Curry in the Pressure Cooker
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS CHICKPEA CURRY WITH COCONUT MILK?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Use leftover lentils to make this dal
Use those leftover spices on this vegetarian main dish
Chickpea Curry with Coconut Milk
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 tsp Ginger grated
- 1 Red Chilli deseeded and chopped
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 2 400g tins Chickpeas
- 1.2 litres Vegetable Stock
- 200 g Red Lentils
- 1 400g tin Coconut Milk
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- Fresh Coriander
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a medium heat and add the onion, fry for 5 minutes then add the garlic, ginger, chilli, turmeric, curry powder and cumin and fry for another couple of minutes until everything is softened.
- Add the chickpeas and stir to coat in the spices then pour over the stock and simmer for 15 minutes until the chickpeas are starting to break down.
- Pour in all but 2 tablespoons of the coconut milk and the lentils and then cook for another 10 minutes.
- Heat the tbsp of oil in a small saucepan and add the chilli flakes and cumin seeds, cook for 30 seconds then add the oil to the dahl. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with roti and a drizzle of coconut milk and fresh coriander.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later?