This halloumi curry with potato is extra spicy and filling. Serve with rice and naan for a vegetarian meal that's great for a busy weeknight.
I am all about that cheese in curry life.
This halloumi curry is based on one of the first of my blog recipes that ever went viral, for want of a better word, and is still one of my most popular recipes.
That creamy halloumi curry is mild and made with a rich cashew and coconut sauce but I really wanted to make a new version that had a spicy sauce.
So this spicy halloumi curry with potato was born and it's just so good!
Why we love this spicy halloumi curry with potato:
- It's so easy to make with just a handful of ingredients that are easy to keep on hand so it's perfect for when you're at a loss for what to make but need a quick dinner
- It can be easily customised depending on what you have on hand. I used peppers and potatoes along with the halloumi but if you have other vegetables that need using up then feel free to add them in
To start this curry I like to fry the halloumi before anything else. Once the cubes of halloumi are browned on all sides I scoop them out onto a plate while I made the rest of the curry.
The rest of the curry is a pretty simple spicy curry sauce made with ginger, garlic, spices and tinned tomatoes and you can make it as spicy or mild as you like. I used a fresh chilli and a good helping of chilli flakes because I wanted that extra kick.
Spicy Halloumi Curry with Potato Ingredients:
- Halloumi: Cubed and fried before getting on with the rest of the curry
- Spices: Garlic, ginger, chilli, curry powder, cumin, chilli flakes and coriander all go into this curry sauce to make it extra spicy and flavourful. If you want more ways to use all these spices try out this vegetable curry too!
- Pepper: Whatever colour you like
- Potatoes: I like to use smaller potatoes just halved or quartered but use whatever type you like
- Chopped Tomatoes
[amazon_link asins='B002XAEA24,B004803Z5K,B01D3JCHVO,B008G0L8F2' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='9a02eff6-cbbe-4d97-b7d0-927b8a1fbe89']
Spicy halloumi curry with potato instructions:
- Fry the halloumi: Heat a large pot over a medium high heat and fry the halloumi until browned on all sides (for more tips check out my how to cook halloumi post), remove from the pot and put on a plate while you make the rest of the curry.
- Start the curry sauce: Heat the oil and fry the onion then add the garlic, ginger, chilli, pepper and spices.
- Finish the sauce: Add the potatoes to the sauce then pour in the chopped tomatoes, bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the halloumi: Put the halloumi into the sauce and stir though then serve.
Equipment you need to make this recipe...
[amazon_link asins='B00C696XK4,B073VY4RNY,B003ASATPA,B00537PF9G' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='447e0f1d-4bbd-4d46-ad49-c18035a4483d']
Keep scrolling to get the full printable recipe...
Want more? Try these other halloumi recipes!
- Tomato, Halloumi and Pomegranate Salad
- Healthy Halloumi Bake with Aubergine
- Warm Lentil and Halloumi Salad
- Halloumi Salad with Kale & Tahini Dressing
- Grilled Halloumi Sandwich
- Harissa Halloumi Salad with Couscous
- Halloumi Pasta with Tahini Dressing
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS SPICY HALLOUMI CURRY WITH POTATO?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Use curry powder for the cauliflower in these veggie wraps
Add cumin to these super simple vegetarian quesadillas
Spicy Halloumi Curry with Potato
- 250 g Halloumi cubed
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 teaspoon Ginger grated
- 1 Chilli deseeded and chopped
- 1 Pepper sliced
- 1 tablespoon Curry Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Coriander
- 250 g Potatoes chopped
- 2 400g tins Chopped Tomatoes
- Rice and Naan to serve
- Fry the halloumi: Start by frying the halloumi until it's browned on all sides. Scoop out and place on a plate while you make the rest of the curry.
- Start the sauce: Heat the oil and add the onion, fry for 5 minutes until beginning to soften then add the garlic, ginger, pepper and chilli and fry for another 5 minutes. Add all the spices and the potato and stir to coat everything.
- Finish the sauce: Pour in the chopped tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes until thickened, taste and check for seasoning.
- Serve: Stir through the halloumi and cook for another couple of minutes before serving with rice and naan.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!