This halloumi curry with a creamy cashew nut sauce makes a tasty change from a traditional curry. Sprinkle with a handful of whole cashews for an extra crunch.
This recipe uses one of my all time favourite ingredients…halloumi! Other than my everyday dinner basics (onion, garlic) halloumi is probably the most featured ingredient on this blog.
Oh god guys I have been so excited to share this recipe with you. This was one of those ideas I came up with and then had to convince Will to let me try it.
It’s something I’ve been pondering for a while. I just could not get the idea of halloumi in curry out of my head.
I was just convinced that that salty, squeaky cheese would work perfectly with a creamy curry sauce.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS CASHEW NUT CURRY WITH HALLOUMI & BROCCOLI:
- Coconut Milk
- Greek Yoghurt
- Curry Powder
- Garam Masala
- Curry Paste
- Cayenne Pepper
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe for cashew nut curry with halloumi & broccoli…
So I told Will about it and he was pretty sceptical. Ok, a lot sceptical. I don’t really get why because if anyone suggests having halloumi in anything my answer is always an instant YES PLEASE.
But apparently Will is slightly more discerning.
Eventually, though, my curiosity won out and I made it for dinner one night that Will was out.
This is my usual tactic when I want to try making something I know Will isn’t 100% convinced by. Mainly because I’m usually convinced that if he just tried whatever it is then he would love it.
And guess what. He loved it. We both loved it. So much so that we’re still talking about it several weeks later. Will proclaimed it one of his favourite dishes that I’d ever made.
I cannot tell you how much you need to try this curry.
The smooth, creaminess of the curry comes from a sauce of ground cashews, coconut milk and tomatoes then that cooks down with a load of spices.
At this point you could totally just add the halloumi and it would be acceptable, sure.
But what you should actually definitely do is cook that halloumi in a hot skillet first so that it’s brown and crispy and delicious.
Then tip it into the curry just before serving. Stirring gently so it’s just coated in the sauce then piling on top of a bed of freshly cooked rice and topping with a handful of cashews and loads of chopped coriander, maybe even some saag aloo on the side.
It’s comfort food but also not entirely unhealthy which is really the best kind of comfort food.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
HOW TO MAKE CASHEW NUT CURRY WITH HALLOUMI & BROCCOLI:
- Browning the halloumi before adding it to the curry adds an extra layer of yummy flavour so do that first. Make sure you don’t crowd the pan because it’ll stop the halloumi from browning properly.
- Blend your other ingredients together until they’re smooth. This creates a lovely creamy sauce which is so good with the salty halloumi.
- If you haven’t already got cooked broccoli then pop a pan of water on to boil and cook your broccoli ready to add the sauce.
- Serve with cooked rice and extra cashews for crunchiness!
UPDATE: Since originally posting this curry on the blog I’ve had so many wonderful comments and messages from people telling me how much they love it.
It makes me so happy to know that one of my recipes (which I love so so much) has become other peoples’ favourite as well. If you try it and like it then please let me know, I do a little dance whenever I get one of those messages 😍
If you’re as in love with halloumi as I am then you need to head over to my complete guide to How to Cook Halloumi!
It’s got tips on how to grill, bake and fry it as well as plenty of recipes to try out and even some fun little facts about everyone’s favourite cheese 🧀
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS CASHEW NUT CURRY WITH HALLOUMI & BROCCOLI?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Cashew Nut Curry with Halloumi & Broccoli
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 250 g Halloumi cubed
- 1 400g tin Coconut Milk
- 115 g Cashews
- 500 g Passata
- 60 g Greek Yoghurt
- 1 Onion diced
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 thumb-sized piece Ginger grated
- 2 tbsp Curry Powder
- 2 tbsp Garam Masala
- 2 tsp Curry Paste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 head Broccoli cut into florets and cooked
- Bunch Coriander chopped
- Melt half the butter in a skillet and fry the halloumi until it is browned on all sides. You might need to do this in batches. Place on a paper towel covered plate to drain.
- Blend the cashew nuts with the tin of coconut milk in a food processor until smooth. Add the passata and the yoghurt and blend again. Add a little water if needed to loosen the mixture.
- To a big pot melt the rest of the butter and add the onion, garlic and ginger. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add all the spices and the curry paste and cook until fragrant, a minute or so. Pour in the cashew nut mixture and bring to the boil. Add the halloumi and broccoli to the sauce and serve with rice, coriander and cashew nuts.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…