This halloumi bake perfectly combines the healthy freshness of vegetables with the chewy, salty halloumi for a delicious vegetarian dinner.
So I could probably never choose a favourite cheese because, let’s be real, they all offer such special and different qualities but halloumi is definitely up there as one of the cheeses I’d hate to live without. It’s also one of those brilliant ingredients that stops you feeling like you’re missing out on anything when you’re eating vegetarian.
This bake is full of fresh vegetables, crispy but still chewy halloumi and herby flavour and it’s probably my new favourite vegetarian dinner. Even the fact that I decided to make this on the hottest day of the year so far and it involved more time than was ideal standing over the oven couldn’t stop me loving it once I tucked into the perfect balance of freshness and saltiness.
This dish starts with some chopped onions frying gently for a few minutes before you add chopped garlic and frying for a little longer. Then courgette, tomatoes and spices are added and cooked for about 20 minutes with some tomato puree until everything is getting super soft and the tomatoes have released all their juices to make a lovely sauce.
Finally you need to add those slices of halloumi on top and put the whole thing under the grill to get it all browned and toasty. Once you’re ready to eat sprinkle on some chopped fresh basil and bring the whole thing to the table to serve. One thing to note is that I put a teaspoon of chilli flakes in here which I think goes great with the halloumi. If you’re not a fan of spicy food it will still taste great if you leave it out or reduce the quantity!
Tomato and Halloumi Bake
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic chopped
- 2 Courgettes chopped
- 6 Medium Tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 tbsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes (adjust according to how spicy you like your food, it will still taste great without!)
- Salt and Pepper
- 200 g Halloumi sliced
- Handful Fresh Basil chopped
- Start by heating the oil in a frying pan which you can also use under the grill over a medium heat. Add the onion and fry for a few minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a little longer.
- Once the onion and garlic has softened add the tomatoes and courgettes followed by the tomato puree and all the spices along with a good sprinkling of salt and pepper. Cook over a medium heat for 20 minutes until everything is softened and the tomatoes have released their liquid.
- Heat the grill to medium high heat. Remove the pan from the heat and place the slices of halloumi across the top of the vegetables. Place under the grill for a few minutes until the cheese has browned. Sprinkle with basil before serving.
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS TOMATO AND HALLOUMI BAKE?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!