These halloumi tacos are beautifully spiced and topped with a fresh and healthy cabbage slaw. An ideal vegetarian Mexican dinner!
I love making Mexican food and tacos just scream summer to me. There’s something about a perfectly charred tortilla packed full of fresh ingredients which just makes me so happy.
As much as I love a meaty taco this vegetarian version is just as good. If you want to try cutting down on meat or just fancy a change from your usual taco filling then these halloumi tacos are perfect for you.
We have been going mad for the vegetarian recently. Well, when I say that, we’ve had 4 out of 5 vegetarian dinners this week. That counts right?
I’ve been working on a book at work all about health and it really emphasises the importance of cutting down on meat and how important it is to avoid saturated fat etc. so that’s made me think twice about eating too much meat.
Don’t worry though, this blog will definitely not be going full on vegetarian. I love me some chicken/beef/bacon/lamb far too much.
We’ve also been going for runs! I hate running, whenever I do it I get in a big strop because I find it so unpleasant to be out of breath and tired. I can’t remember if I’ve mentioned it before but Will and I drunkenly signed up for a half marathon a few months ago.
Things like this always seem like a great idea in principle before I remember how much I hate exercising. Anyway, because we’ve got this half marathon in March next year Will has been training away and I’ve been joining him when I can bear to. I’ve been twice this week so I think that makes me a runner?
If you’re all healthy and exercisy like me then this recipe for halloumi tacos is the one for you. Even if you’re not it’s still an excellent choice. The fried halloumi cheese is so delicious, covered in spices like paprika, chilli powder and garlic powder.
Then you’ve got a lovely healthy and fresh slaw based on the one I used for my buttermilk chicken sandwiches which just gives everything an amazing crunchy freshness. Plus, if you want to add a side to bulk out this meal then give this Instant Pot Mexican rice a go!
Ingredients you need to make these halloumi tacos:
- Smoked Paprika
- Chilli Powder
- Ground Coriander
- Ground Cumin
- Garlic Powder
- Olive Oil
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe for halloumi tacos with red cabbage slaw…
Ingredients you need to make red cabbage slaw for tacos:
- Red Cabbage
- Red Onion
- Red Chilli
- White Wine Vinegar
- Coriander (Cilantro)
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £8.99Was: £9.95
Expert tips for making halloumi tacos
- I’ve kept the spice mix for these tacos pretty mild but if you like it spicy then add a touch of cayenne pepper or increase the amount of chilli powder in the recipe
- You can make the slaw ahead of time so that you’re ready to serve quickly on a weeknight, it will keep well in the fridge for up to 2 days
- I like to char my tortilla wraps on the hob flame just before serving for that smoky flavour, just make sure you have tongs handy to remove the wrap as soon as it starts to catch alight
- Halloumi is best eaten just after cooking so I’d recommend serving these immediately
If you’re as in love with halloumi as I am then you need to head over to my complete guide to How to Cook Halloumi! It’s got tips on how to grill, bake and fry it as well as plenty of recipes to try out and even some fun little facts about everyone’s favourite cheese 🧀
Want more? Try these other halloumi recipes!
- Moroccan Spiced Pumpkin Soup with Halloumi Dippers
- Grilled Halloumi Skewers with Satay Sauce
- Spinach Halloumi Pasta
- Grilled Halloumi Salad with Herby Tomato Salsa
- Grilled Nectarines and Halloumi
- Halloumi Curry with Cashew Nut Sauce
- Roast Vegetable Salad with Halloumi
For the Halloumi
For the Slaw
- 1/4 Red Cabbage chopped or shredded
- 1/2 Red Onion thinly sliced
- 1 Red Chilli chopped
- 3 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Lime
- Bunch Fresh Coriander
- Mix all of the spices together on a plate and gently coat each slice of halloumi in the spice mix. Heat the oil in a skillet over a medium-high heat. Fry the halloumi in batches for 3 minutes on each side until getting crispy.
- Make the slaw by mixing together the cabbage, red onion, chilli, vinegar, juice of half the lime and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Build the tacos by placing a couple of slices of halloumi on each tortilla and topping with some slaw. Serve with fresh coriander and lime wedges.