These grilled halloumi skewers with satay sauce and cucumber salad are a light and healthy summer dinner. Serve with rice for the perfect way to enjoy halloumi cheese.
This recipe just screams summer to me ☀️
Are we allowed to talk about summer food even though it’s only April?
I’m saying yes because we’ve just had the most beautiful Easter weekend with sunny days and plenty of outdoor eating and drinking and I’m feeling thoroughly relaxed and sun drenched which is my favourite way to be.
This is my favourite weather and the food that comes with it is my favourite way of eating. Meals like these grilled halloumi skewers which can be made on a griddle pan or on the barbecue and served with a creamy satay sauce and bright and fresh cucumber salad.
Since I already knew that halloumi works amazingly with a creamy nutty sauce (see also, this halloumi curry with creamy cashew sauce) it seemed like a no brainer to pair grilled halloumi with my favourite peanut sauce.
Why we love these grilled halloumi skewers:
- This is a super quick and easy dinner recipe which comes together in just a handful of steps
- You can easily make this recipe vegetarian by leaving the fish sauce out of the satay sauce
- If you want to make ahead some of this recipe then you can make the satay sauce and cucumber salad ahead of time and store in the fridge
- If you want to add veggies to this recipe then you could thread some peppers or onions on to the skewers with the halloumi
Grilled Halloumi Skewers with Satay Sauce Ingredients:
- Coconut Milk: I prefer full fat but use low fat if you prefer
- Peanut Butter: Chunky is best!
- Soy Sauce: Or switch for tamari if you want to keep this gluten free
- Fish Sauce: Or leave out for vegetarian version
- Chilli: Use less if you want to reduce the spice level
- Light Brown Sugar
- Halloumi: Carefully cubed and threaded onto skewers
- Cucumber: Hit a few times with a rolling pin, it sounds weird but it makes the texture of the cucumber really good
- Rice Vinegar
- Sesame Oil
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Grilled Halloumi Skewers with Satay Sauce Instructions:
- Make the sauce: Put all the sauce ingredients into a saucepan and heat gently until melted then set aside.
- Grill the halloumi: Heat the griddle or barbecue. Thread the halloumi cubes onto skewers and brush with vegetable oil then grill on all sides.
- Make the cucumber salad: Smack the cucumber a few times with a rolling pin then chop, place in a bowl and sprinkle with salt, set aside for about 10 minutes then pour away any excess liquid. Whisk together the rest of the ingredients and pour over the cucumber.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £2.20Was: £3.50
- Price: £9.52Was: £9.99
- Price: £7.75
Expert tips for making these grilled halloumi skewers:
- The satay sauce in this recipe is so delicious and any leftovers last well in the fridge to be served with anything else you fancy during the week
- I like these halloumi skewers served with rice to make it a filling meal but you could try noodles or extra veggies if you prefer
- Get everything ready ahead of time for this meal by threading the skewers, making the sauce and cucumber salad and storing everything in the fridge. Then simply grill the skewers when you’re ready to serve
Can you eat grilled halloumi the next day?
You definitely can eat halloumi that’s been fried or grilled cold the next day although it does taste so much better warm. If you want to save some for the next day then you can store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Can you eat halloumi cheese without cooking it?
You definitely can although, again, it tastes so much better when it’s been grilled so I would recommend doing that first!
For more tips and tricks check out my post on how to cook halloumi!
Want more? Try these other halloumi recipes!
- Bruschetta Baked Halloumi
- Panko Halloumi Sandwich with Kasundi
- Grilled Peach and Halloumi Panzanella
- Tomato and Halloumi Bake with Courgette
- Couscous Bowl with Halloumi
- Halloumi Salad with Kale and Tahini Dressing
Grilled Halloumi Skewers with Satay Sauce
- 250 g Halloumi cubed
- Vegetable Oil
- Rice to serve
- 85 ml Coconut Milk
- 120 g Chunky Peanut Butter
- 2 tsp Soy sauce
- 2 tsp Fish Sauce
- 1 Chilli finely chopped
- 5 tsp Light Brown Sugar
- Put the coconut milk, peanut butter, soy sauce, fish sauce, chilli and sugar in a small saucepan and heat gently until melted. Stir until smooth then set aside to cool.
- Smack the cucumber a few times with a rolling pin then chop, place in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Mix together all the other ingredients. When the cucumber has been sitting for about 10 minutes drain and pour over the dressing.
- Thread the cubes of halloumi on skewers. Brush the halloumi with vegetable oil. Heat a griddle pan to high or use the barbecue. Cook the halloumi on all sides until slightly charred. Serve with the sauce, cucumber salad and rice.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!