Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
This halloumi bake perfectly combines the healthy freshness of vegetables with the chewy, salty halloumi for a delicious vegetarian dinner.
Note: This was one of my very first recipes and I’ve now updated the photos so the ones beyond this point were updated on 26/07/18. This is still one of my all time favourite halloumi recipes and I hope you love it as much as I do!
This bake uses some of my all time favourite ingredients. Obviously halloumi is one of the most dreamy things in the world and I’m always on the hunt for a new halloumi recipe to add to my repertoire.
I cook it pretty regularly and there are so many halloumi recipes on this site it’s hard to pick some real stand outs but I think using it in a halloumi curry was one of the most life changing things I’ve ever done (yeah, I said it, LIFE CHANGING) and this tomato and halloumi bake is one of those simple, store cupboard type recipes which I go back to again and again!
Where to buy halloumi?
Halloumi is available in most supermarkets, just look in the speciality cheese section of the fridge!
And then there’s the courgette (or zucchini for my American friends). I’ve got a few courgette recipes on here and I’ve used it in loads of different ways, it’s one of those versatile ingredients, you know?
So I could probably never choose a favourite cheese because, let’s be real, they all offer such special and different qualities but halloumi cheese is definitely up there as one of the cheeses I’d hate to live without.
It’s also one of those brilliant ingredients that stops you feeling like you’re missing out on anything when you’re eating vegetarian.
It’s a little salty, has a great texture and looks so invitingly awesome when it’s gently fried and all crispy and brown.
This bake is full of fresh vegetables, crispy but still chewy halloumi and herby flavour and it’s probably my new favourite vegetarian dinner.
We eat veggie fairly regularly and this is exactly the kind of recipe we like to have on hand for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
This easy halloumi dish starts with some chopped onions frying gently for a few minutes before you add chopped garlic and frying for a little longer.
Then courgette, tomatoes and spices are added and cooked for about 20 minutes with some tomato puree until everything is getting super soft and the tomatoes have released all their juices to make a lovely sauce.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: Check on Amazon
- Price: £10.99Was: £14.00
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS TOMATO & HALLOUMI BAKE WITH COURGETTE:
- Olive Oil
- Tomato Puree
- Smoked Paprika
- Chilli Flakes
- Salt and Pepper
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Finally you need to add those slices of halloumi on top and put the whole thing under the grill to get it all browned and toasty.
Once you’re ready to eat sprinkle on some chopped fresh basil and bring the whole thing to the table to serve.
I served it with some crusty bread and fresh salad leaves and it was a lovely fresh and light meal perfect for a weeknight. Plus it’s gluten free so great for the whole family.
Oh and the leftovers work great for lunch the next day hot or cold.
Want to bookmark this recipe? Pin it for later to your easy dinners board!
One thing to note is that I put a teaspoon of chilli flakes in here which I think goes great with the halloumi. If you’re not a fan of spicy food it will still taste great if you leave it out or reduce the quantity!
If you’re as in love with halloumi as I am then you need to head over to my complete guide to How to Cook Halloumi!
It’s got tips on how to grill, bake and fry it as well as plenty of recipes to try out and even some fun little facts about everyone’s favourite cheese 🧀
Want more? Try these other halloumi recipes!
- Broccoli, Halloumi & Lentil Salad
- Panko Halloumi Sandwich with Kasundi
- Halloumi and Tomato Orzo Salad
- Halloumi Salad with Kale and Tahini Dressing
- Beet Salad with Apple and Halloumi
- Spicy Halloumi Curry with Potato
- Baked Halloumi with Winter Panzanella
- Harissa Halloumi Salad with Couscous
How to make Tomato and Halloumi Bake with Courgette:
Tomato and Halloumi Bake
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 Courgettes chopped
- 6 Medium Tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 tbsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes (adjust according to how spicy you like your food, it will still taste great without!)
- Salt and Pepper
- 200 g Halloumi sliced
- Handful Fresh Basil chopped
- Start by heating the oil in a frying pan which you can also use under the grill over a medium heat. Add the onion and fry for a few minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a little longer.
- Once the onion and garlic has softened add the tomatoes and courgettes followed by the tomato puree and all the spices along with a good sprinkling of salt and pepper. Cook over a medium heat for 20 minutes until everything is softened and the tomatoes have released their liquid.
- Heat the grill to medium high heat. Remove the pan from the heat and place the slices of halloumi across the top of the vegetables. Place under the grill for a few minutes until the cheese has browned. Sprinkle with basil before serving.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!