This vegetarian halloumi bake recipe is the perfect way to use this delicious salty cheese! The halloumi is layered on top of tomato and aubergine and cooked until browned and crispy.
This healthy halloumi bake is inspired by one of my all time favourite halloumi recipes (and one of the most popular here on the blog), this tomato and halloumi bake with courgette.
I decided to change it up a bit and use aubergine and it works so well.
It starts off in the same way, with onions and garlic, but then you add chopped aubergine and gently cook it in a richly spiced tomato sauce until it's super soft and almost creamy.
I love when aubergine goes like that. It's really the only way to eat it I think. I've made plenty of aubergine recipes for the blog and it's truly one of my favourite vegetables.
My favourite thing about this recipe is that flavour combination of the rich tomato sauce and salty cheese, it's honestly one that you won't forget.
I swear you will absolutely love it!
Why we love this aubergine and halloumi bake:
- It's a comforting vegetarian recipe so it's perfect for when you're avoiding meat
- It's an easy weeknight dinner which is full of flavour and plenty of healthy ingredients
- The whole thing takes about 40 minutes from start to finish
Halloumi Bake with Aubergine Ingredients:
To make this healthy halloumi bake you will need:
- Onion and Garlic: How all good recipes start!
- Aubergine: Chopped into cubes. If you want to try a version of this recipe with a different vegetable then make sure you try out my version of this halloumi bake with courgette.
- Chopped Tomatoes & Tomato Puree: So that you can make that rich tomatoey sauce 🧡
- Spices: I love to add turmeric, cumin, smoked paprika and chilli flakes to this halloumi bake. You could try a more classic Italian flavour if you prefer with oregano and thyme or even go Mexican with some coriander and chilli powder!
- Halloumi: My all time favourite cheese (possibly even favourite food!). If you love it too then make sure you check out my halloumi recipes collection.
- Fresh Basil: To serve. If you don't have any then feel free to use another fresh herb you have on hand, parsley would be delicious.
[amazon_link asins='B01D3JCABQ,B009GE2F1I,B00X3Z2RQY,B06XC21BG7' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='d9de91c7-e2da-11e8-9328-fb864eb18a38']
How to make this Halloumi Bake with Aubergine:
To make this simple halloumi bake you need to:
- Fry the aromatics and aubergine. Heat the oil, fry the onion, garlic and aubergine then add all the spices and tomato puree.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer. Plus a little water and simmer for 15 minutes until you have a lovely rich and thickened sauce.
- Transfer into a baking dish and add halloumi slices. Bake until the halloumi is browned and serve with crusty bread.
Equipment you need to make this recipe...
[amazon_link asins='B00C8921J4,B01LWXDP3O,B073X69YJP,B00537PF9G' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='c2848836-e2df-11e8-ac07-67413c9b1b92']
Halloumi Bake Variations
You could make plenty of changes to this halloumi bake to make it just how you like it!
- Add some beans. This would work amazingly with chickpeas or butter beans added to the tomato mixture before transferring to a baking dish.
- Make it meaty. Some minced beef would be lovely in here, fry it with the onion and garlic before adding all the other ingredients.
- Bulk it out. Try adding some cooked lentils to the tomato sauce to make it extra filling.
Want more? Try these other halloumi recipes!
- Roasted Asparagus with Tomatoes, Halloumi Cheese & Sherry Vinaigrette
- Baked Halloumi with Winter Panzanella
- Roasted Halloumi Fajitas
- Harissa Halloumi Salad with Couscous
- Vegetarian Hummus Wrap with Halloumi
- Halloumi & Chorizo Wrap with Broccoli Slaw
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS HALLOUMI BAKE WITH AUBERGINE?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Add leftover smoked paprika to this simple vegetarian stew!
Any leftover basil can be used up in this one pot pasta bake
Halloumi Bake with Aubergine
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 Aubergine chopped
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Puree
- 1 tablespoon Turmeric
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- Pinch Chilli Flakes
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 200 g Halloumi sliced
- Basil to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the onion and fry for a couple of minutes then add the garlic, aubergine, tomato puree, turmeric, cumin, smoked paprika and chilli flakes and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the tin of tomatoes and fill the tin up halfway with water and add that too. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the aubergine is really soft.
- Tip into a baking dish and top with the slices of halloumi and place in the over for 5-10 minutes until browned. Serve sprinkled with basil.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!