This smoky lentil stew is the ultimate cold weather warmer. Simple, healthy and suitable for vegans, this lentil stew takes just 10 minutes in the pressure cooker!
I’m so into winter comfort food right now. If I could I would eat cheesy pasta every day of my life but I know that my health and general wellbeing would NOT thank me so I’m always in urgent need of something just as good that’s going to make me feel good as well.
And that’s exactly what you get from this smoky lentil stew. It’s full of flavour but uses ingredients which I pretty much always have on hand. The dream.
Happy Sunday team! We have had a lovely weekend. Friday night I had a friend’s birthday drinks followed by a night out where Will and I drank a little too much which meant that Saturday was spent trying to recover in time to go round to our friends’ for dinner.
They cooked us the most amazing Mexican themed dinner including loads of different tacos and we got to try jackfruit for the first time. Have you tried it?
I didn’t really know what to expect but it was really tasty thanks to the amazing chipotle sauce they cooked it in.
Today we’re spending the day at home working and watching back to back episodes of TV while stuffing our faces with various deliciousness. It’s the perfect day.
I’m also planning out what I’m making for dinners in the coming week and this pressure cooker lentil stew will definitely be on the list.
Why will you love this lentil stew?
For one thing most of the ingredients in this recipe are things it’s easy to keep on hand so you can have delicious stew whenever you need it.
Secondly it’s just so easy. There’s just two steps and 10 minutes of pressure cooking to get this lentil stew ready to serve.
Finally the leftovers are amazing for lunches the rest of the week.
Ingredients you need to make lentil stew
- Olive Oil
- Smoked Paprika
- Red Lentils
- Vegetable Stock
- Lemon Juice
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe for this lentil stew…
How do you make lentil stew?
- Start by setting your pressure cooker to saute and adding the oil. Fry the carrots and onion for 5 minutes then add the garlic, smoked paprika, cumin and lentils and stir together.
- Pour in the stock, season and then cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Release the pressure then stir through kale, herbs and lemon juice and serve.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £8.99Was: £9.95
- H&S® Manual Lemon Squeezer - Heavy Duty - Juice Extractor Single Press Hand Lime Citrus Fruit JuicerPrice: £9.99Was: £29.99
- Price: £3.93Was: £6.99
Can you make lentil stew in the slow cooker?
To make lentil stew in the slow cooker add the carrots, onion, garlic, smoked paprika, cumin, lentils and stock to the slow cooker. Stir everything together and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours. Stir through the herbs, kale and lemon juice just before serving.
Can I make this lentil stew on the stovetop?
To make this lentil stew on the stovetop heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pot over a medium heat. Add the carrots and onion and fry for 5 minutes then add the garlic, smoked paprika, cumin and lentils. Stir to get the lentils coated in the oil and spices.
Pour in the stock and bring to a simmer then cook for 20-30 minutes until the lentils are soft and have mostly disintegrated. Add the kale, herbs and lemon juice just before serving.
Do you have to soak lentils before cooking them?
You don’t need to soak lentils before cooking them, just add them directly to the pot with the other ingredients.
Are lentils healthy?
Lentils are very healthy. They’re low in calories but they’re high in fibre and vitamins and minerals and have virtually no fat!
How to serve this pressure cooker lentil stew
I love mine topped with a runny poached egg, a scoop of yoghurt and extra herbs plus a sprinkling of nigella seeds and chilli flakes. I don’t think this needs any extra carbs as the lentils are really filling but a hunk of crusty bread never goes a miss with a bowl of stew if you’re feeling extra hungry!
Leave the egg and yoghurt off to make this vegan.
Can you freeze lentil stew?
This lentil stew freezes really well. To reheat defrost thoroughly then heat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Want more? Try these other lentil recipes!
- Vegan Lentil Sloppy Joes
- Veggie Chilli with Lentils & Sweet Potato
- Lentil Curry with Rice & Split Pea
- Chickpea Curry with Coconut Milk
- Lentil Bolognese
- Healthy Red Lentil Dal with Spinach
Pressure Cooker Smoky Lentil Stew
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Carrots chopped
- 1 Onion chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 250 g Red Lentils
- 750 ml Vegetable Stock
- Salt and Pepper
- 200 g Kale
- 1 Lemon juiced
- Fresh Dill & Coriander to serve
- Poached Eggs to serve, if desired, leave off for vegan version
- Greek Yoghurt to serve, leave out for vegan version
- Nigella Seeds and Chilli Flakes to serve
- Set your pressure cooker to saute and add the oil. Add the carrots and onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic followed by the smoked paprika, cumin and lentils and stir to get the lentils completely coated.
- Add the stock and season with salt and pepper then seal and cook on the stew setting (high pressure) for 10 minutes. Stir through kale, lemon juice and a handful of chopped dill and coriander. Serve topped with yoghurt, nigella seeds and a poached egg if desired.
If you like the look of this recipe make sure you pin it for later!