This ham and cheese croissant bake is the perfect breakfast casserole. It's easy to make ahead, can be eaten hot or cold and is delicious served as part of a brunch.
Sometimes you just need an epic breakfast dish 🤩
Look at all the melty, browned cheese! It's so dreamy and it's exactly what I want for breakfast most days.
For this breakfast casserole I took the idea of a ham and cheese croissant, something that is so delicious and makes a great meal any time of day, and I turned it into a cheesy breakfast bake with ham and eggs and herbs.
It's way easier than it looks to make and a lot of it can be done ahead so that you can throw it together in the morning and pop it in the oven. It can also be reheated if you want to cook the whole thing ahead of time.
Why we love this ham and cheese croissant bake...
This recipe is so easy to make with just a few steps before it's in the oven and filling the kitchen with all kinds of delicious smells and ready to start your day in the best way possible.
It's great for serving to a crowd because you can easily scale it up or you could serve it for a lazy weekend brunch with just the family.
You can switch up the filling if you want to make it vegetarian or just try a different vegetable instead of the spinach.
It's easy to make ahead by making the egg mixture and filling and storing them separately in the fridge until ready to bake. Alternatively you could bake it the night before and reheat in the oven just before serving.
Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole Ingredients
Butter: For greasing
Croissant: These are torn and spread through the bake
Egg Mixture: This is made from a combination of eggs, milk, dijon mustard, fresh thyme, ground nutmeg and a mixture of cheeses
Cheese: I used a combination of gruyere and cheddar
Spinach: You could also use kale if you prefer
Ham: I tore pieces of shop bought ham to use but this would also be a great use of leftover ham
How to make Ham and Cheese Brunch Bake
Make the egg mixture: Whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, thyme, nutmeg and half the cheese.
Put together the bake: Tear the croissants and spread in a baking dish with the ham and spinach. Pour over the egg mixture then top with the rest of the cheese.
Bake: Put the dish in the oven for 45 minutes until set then leave to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Want more? Try these other breakfast recipes!
- Breakfast Skillet with Spicy Beans
- Vegan Breakfast Tacos with Black Beans
- Chipotle Eggs and Potatoes with Kale
- Breakfast Sandwich with Prosciutto & Watercress
- Vegetarian Breakfast Bowl with Hummus
- French Toast Sticks
Ham and Cheese Croissant Bake
- Butter for greasing
- 4 Croissants torn into pieces
- 4 Eggs
- 350 ml Whole Milk
- ½ tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme chopped, plus a few extra sprigs for serving
- Pinch Ground Nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper
- 70 g Gruyere grated
- 70 g Cheddar grated
- 150 g Spinach chopped
- 100 g Ham chopped
- Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a medium baking dish.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, thyme, nutmeg, half of each cheese and plenty of salt and pepper. Spread the croissant pieces, ham and spinach in the baking dish then pour the egg mixture over them.
- Top with the rest of the cheese then bake for 45 minutes until set in the middle. Leave to cool for 5 minutes then sprinkle with thyme sprigs before serving.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!