This healthy breakfast skillet is loaded with spicy beans and runny eggs. It’s such an easy and delicious brunch perfect served with crusty bread.
Fancy breakfast tiiiiime!
Slow weekend breakfast/easy weeknight dinner. This skillet recipe is honestly great for both purposes and pretty much any other time of day.
The sauce is rich and spicy but takes just 20 minutes to put together which makes it perfect for a Saturday morning brunch. I add a tin of beans to the sauce then create a couple of wells in the mixture and crack in some eggs.
After making my eggs and potatoes I feel like I’ve finally got the hang of taking the skillet off the heat before the eggs get too cooked and the yolks aren’t runny. Remember that the eggs will keep cooking when you’ve taken it off the heat so don’t wait until they’re fully cooked.
Why we love this breakfast skillet with spicy beans
It’s a healthy breakfast or dinner recipe full of protein from the beans and eggs
This skillet is so easy to make with mostly store cupboard ingredients
It’s a delicious vegetarian meal that’s also gluten free
Breakfast Skillet with Spicy Beans Ingredients:
Red Onion: Or you could use a white one if you prefer
Garlic and Chilli: Adds that flavour and spiciness to the dish
Spices: Smoked paprika, cumin, oregano and ground coriander all go into this dish to make it super flavourful
White Beans: I went with cannellini beans but butter beans would also work
Fresh Coriander: For sprinkling over the finished dish
How to make a breakfast skillet with spicy beans
- Start the sauce: Heat the oil and add the onion then add the garlic and chilli and cook gently for 5-10 minutes
- Finish the spicy beans: Add the spices then pour in the chopped tomatoes, simmer then add the beans
- Add the eggs: Make wells in the bean mixture and crack an egg into each one. Cover the skillet and cook for about 4-6 minutes until the eggs are just done, remove from the heat and serve
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Expert tips for making this breakfast skillet with spicy beans
Depending on how spicy you like your food you can cut down on the amount of chilli you use
Be careful not to overcook your eggs, remember that the eggs will carry on cooking once you’ve removed them from the heat so take them off when they’re still a bit underdone
Switch out the type of beans you use if you prefer. You could use butter beans or even kidney beans if you like
Serve this breakfast skillet with plenty of crusty bread and some chopped coriander
Want more? Try these other breakfast recipes!
- Nutella Dark Chocolate Stuffed French Toast
- Maple Raspberry Overnight Oats
- Vegan Breakfast Tacos with Black Beans
- Smoked Salmon Everything Bagel
- Breakfast Sandwich with Prosciutto & Watercress
Breakfast Skillet with Spicy Beans
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Red Onion chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 Red Chilli deseeded and chopped
- 1 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Coriander
- 1 400g tin White Beans drained and rinsed
- 4 Eggs
- Small bunch Fresh Coriander chopped
- Crusty Bread to serve
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil over a medium heat and add the onion and a sprinkling of salt and pepper, cook for a couple of minutes then add the garlic and chilli. Cook for another 5-10 minutes until everything is softened.
- Add the spices and stir to coat then pour in the chopped tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes until thickened slightly, stir in the beans.
- Using a wooden spoon make 4 wells in the mixture and crack an egg into each. Put a lid on the pan and leave to cook for 10 minutes or until the eggs reach the required level of doneness. Serve sprinkled with coriander and with some crusty bread.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!