Menemen is a Turkish breakfast dish made with eggs gently scrambled with peppers and tomatoes. It makes an amazing brunch served with plenty of bread.
Simple, easy but so delicious!
Turkish Breakfast Recipes
As I’ve mentioned before, Will is half Turkish and so we’re always especially keen to try out any classic Turkish recipes we come across. This one was actually given to us by Will’s dad and features my new favourite spice; aleppo chilli flakes.
I am as obsessed with breakfasts as the next person and on weekends it’s my favourite thing to have a big tasty breakfast often featuring bacon and eggs but sometimes mixed up with a shakshuka or something completely brand new like this menemen.
What is menemen?
It is a traditional Turkish breakfast dish. It’s basically just fancied up scrambled eggs and peppers and is a beautiful example of the simplicity of Turkish food. Fry up some onion, green peppers and tomatoes. Add a bit of spice then scramble some eggs gently through the vegetables. We had this with some crusty bread and Greek yoghurt on the side with a little extra aleppo chilli flakes sprinkled on top.
Why we love this Turkish menemen recipe:
- It’s so quick to make which makes it perfect for a morning when you need something to eat quickly
- It’s also super easy which means that you can throw it together even on extra busy mornings
- You can add whatever other vegetables you like to this to make it super healthy. We kept it classic with peppers, onions and tomatoes which is what you would traditionally include in menemen
- It’s also a healthy brunch recipe thanks to the combination of eggs and vegetables
- Menemen is a gluten free and vegetarian breakfast so pretty much everyone can enjoy it!
- Onion, Pepper & Tomato: These are fried in a little olive oil until softened
- Aleppo Pepper: This is one of my favourite spices, it’s not particularly spicy but it’s got a sweet smokiness that tastes amazing
- Dried Oregano: Another common ingredient in Turkish cooking which tastes delicious mixed into the eggs
- Eggs: Whisked and gently scrambled with all the veg
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Fry the vegetables: Heat the oil in a pot or frying pan and add the onion and pepper followed by the tomatoes and fry until everything is softened. Add the spices.
- Add the eggs: Whisk the eggs in a bowl. Turn the heat down then pour the eggs into the pan and cook gently, stirring occasionally until just set. Serve with bread and yoghurt.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: Check on Amazon
- Price: £5.28
Expert tips for making menemen:
- Make sure you turn the heat down to low when adding the eggs, they should gently scramble until just set so make sure you don’t overcook them!
- I strongly advise that you get aleppo pepper for this recipe because it adds so much flavour (scroll up for the Amazon link) but if you can’t get hold of it then you could use smoked paprika instead
- I like these eggs served with yoghurt but if you prefer you could try them with hot sauce instead
- Want a different way to serve this dish? Try using tortilla wraps and making menemen breakfast tacos!
Want more? Try these other egg recipes!
- Ham, Egg & Spinach Breakfast Bites
- Chipotle Eggs and Potatoes with Kale
- Crustless Ham and Cheese Quiche
- Turkish Eggs with Whipped Goat’s Cheese
- Salmon Benedict Breakfast Salad
- Huevos Rancheros Baked Eggs
- Vegetarian Breakfast Bowl with Hummus
Menemen | Turkish Scrambled Eggs with Peppers
- 1/2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 Green Pepper chopped
- 4 Tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 tsp Aleppo Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 4 Eggs
- Salt and Pepper
- Bread to serve
- Greek Yoghurt to serve
- Coriander chopped, to serve
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium low heat. Fry the onion and pepper for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes and wait until they have released their juices and everything is softened. Add the aleppo pepper and oregano to the pan along with salt and pepper to taste and mix in.
- Break the eggs into a bowl and whisk together with a fork. Turn the heat to low and tip the eggs into the pan and use a wooden spoon to gently scramble them and mix them with the other ingredients. Once the eggs start to set remove from the heat and allow them to continue cooking in the pan for a few minutes. Serve them with bread or toast and some Greek yoghurt.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!