Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
This healthy, savoury breakfast bowl is a great make ahead recipe perfect for busy weekday mornings. Made with quinoa, kale and roasted butternut squash all topped off with a boiled egg.
Are you a sweet or a savoury breakfast person?
In all contexts I’m all about that savoury and of course that includes my breakfasts. Whether it’s a breakfast burrito or a big pan of shakshuka there just needs to be that heartiness that comes from a savoury breakfast.
These vegetarian breakfast bowls are exactly what I’m about breakfast wise. I first made these for Will when he got home from a long run on a Sunday morning and we both loved them because:
- They’re healthy: From the kale to the butternut squash to the protein hit of quinoa, these breakfast bowls pack in tons of nutrients before you’ve even started your day
- They’re filling: I hate when a breakfast doesn’t keep you full until lunch but these breakfast bowls have so much to them that they’re guaranteed to keep you going all morning
- They’re great for meal prep: All of these elements last well in the fridge so it’s a great idea to make a big batch of all these ingredients at the beginning of the week and throw together a few containers of these breakfast bowls for grab and go breakfasts
- They’re customisable: You can really add anything you like to these bowls, they’re amazing for clearing out the fridge and getting rid of any vegetables that are on their last legs
So to make this breakfast bowl I was really keen to add hummus because I think it works surprisingly well as a breakfast food and it’s delicious with all the other ingredients.
I knew I wanted to use mainly vegetables and top with a boiled egg but I was keen to add a bit of crunch to the dish as well.
I finally settled on some homemade dukkah which was the perfect thing to take what was otherwise a pretty simple dish to the next level.
Vegetarian Breakfast Bowl Ingredients:
You only need a handful of ingredients to make these simple breakfast bowls!
- Butternut Squash: For roasting. Or you could use another type of squash of your choice
- Hummus: Not gonna lie, I used shop bought because I didn’t have time to make my own but if you want to use homemade then go for it, you could even double up the squash and use my butternut squash hummus!
- Kale: Simply sautéed before adding to the bowls
- Quinoa: Or another grain of your choice
- Dukkah: Made from a combination cumin seeds, coriander seeds, sesame seeds and hazelnuts, roasted and ground
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Vegetarian Breakfast Bowls Instructions:
- Roast the squash: Heat the oven, peel and chop the squash and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and put in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Cook the rest of the ingredients: Sauté the kale, boil the eggs, roast the dukkah ingredients and blend.
- Assemble the breakfast bowls: Add a smear of hummus and top with all your other ingredients. Serve.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £3.99
- Price: £13.25Was: £21.00
- Price: £8.97Was: £9.95
Want more? Try these other vegetarian breakfast recipes!
- Vegan Biscuit Breakfast Sandwich
- Turkish Eggs with Whipped Goat’s Cheese
- Greek Shakshuka with Olives & Capers
- Huevos Rancheros Baked Eggs
- Open Faced Mushroom Melts
- Italian Shakshuka with Basil & Parmesan
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS VEGETARIAN BREAKFAST BOWL WITH HUMMUS?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Use up leftover butternut squash in this simple pasta dish
This soup will warm you up and use up the rest of that kale
Vegetarian Breakfast Bowl with Hummus
- 1/2 Butternut Squash peeled and chopped
- 4 tbsp Hummus
- 100 g Kale chopped
- 100 g Quinoa cooked
- 2 Eggs boiled to your liking
- 50 g Hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 2 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Spread the squash on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for 30 minutes until soft.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan and saute the kale just before the squash is finished roasting for a couple of minutes until bright green. Season well.
- Boil the eggs to your liking. Spread a smear of hummus in a bowl, top with half the squash, kale, quinoa, a boiled egg, and a sprinkling of dukkah.
To make the dukkah
- Put all the ingredients on a baking sheet and put in the oven for 6-8 minutes then transfer to a blender and pulse a few times until chopped. Store in an airtight jar.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!