Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
Roasted butternut squash pasta is the perfect simple winter dinner. It’s light and healthy while still filling you up and it’s easy to make too!
Pasta is my go to all year round and this version is pretty much the ultimate in cold weather comfort while still being light and healthy.
I cannot get enough of this pasta made up of some of my all time favourite ingredients.
Roasted butternut squash is perfect for bulking out a winter dinner. It’s rich and roasty with an amazing sweetness which balances out a meal.
Especially when paired with something as salty as the goat’s cheese and the heat from a chilli.
I also threw in some spinach and fresh mint which is my current herb obsession. It adds the most delicious freshness to dishes from chicken salads to pasta and works so well with the sweetness of the butternut squash in this dish.
As well as the butternut squash, pasta and mint we’ve got some crumbled goat’s cheese which melts when stirred through the hot pasta. Then it’s just a case of drizzling a little chilli and garlic oil over the whole thing.
Oh and don’t forget the squeeze of lemon juice because there are few things not improved with a hint of citrus.
Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta Ingredients:
- Butternut Squash: Peeled and chopped into cubes then roasted to caramelised perfection
- Pasta: I went for conchiglie because it’s one of my favourites but honestly go for whatever your favourite cut is
- Garlic, Chilli & Olive Oil: To make the most delicious quick chilli and garlic oil to drizzle over the pasta and add so. much. flavour
- Lemon: To add that zingy touch of citrus and brighten the whole thing up
- Goat’s Cheese: I love the salty flavour this adds to this pasta dish but if you’re not a fan you could always switch for a milder soft cheese, brie would work well
- Spinach: Added to the hot pasta the spinach wilts perfectly but you could use frozen if you prefer
- Mint: I love this for an added touch of freshness but feel free to leave out or switch for another herb if you prefer
Products from Amazon.co.uk‹ ›
Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta Instructions:
- Roast the squash: Peel and chop the squash and roast for 25-30 minutes until softened
- Cook the pasta: Place in a bowl and add the spinach then leave to wilt covered with a tea towel over the bowl
- Make the garlic & chilli oil: Heat the oil and gently fry the garlic and chilli. Add to the pasta with the lemon, squash, goat’s cheese and mint and toss together. Serve
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £16.59Was: £24.00
- Price: £8.99Was: £9.95
- Price: Out of stock
- Price: £8.79Was: £14.00
- Price: £8.49
Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta Variations:
- More vegetables: If you want to bulk out the veg content even more then add some extras, broccoli or kale would be delicious
- Add some protein: If you’re in need of a little more from this dish then you could add a little cooked chicken or bacon or some beans or chickpeas would be so good!
- Try a different herb: If you’re not into the mint then try adding parsley or coriander or even some sage instead
Is butternut squash pasta healthy?
With a good helping of veggies in here this pasta is pretty healthy. If you want to make it even healthier try adding a few more veggies or using wholewheat pasta.
What goes with butternut squash pasta?
This pasta dish is a whole meal in itself which is my favourite kind of recipe for a weeknight but if you want a little extra then try serving with a big green salad.
If you want to keep this recipe for later make sure you pin it to your pasta recipes board!
Want more? Try these other vegetarian pasta recipes!
- Stovetop Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Mushroom Pasta with Thyme
- Wild Mushroom Cream Sauce
- One Pot Cheese & Tomato Pasta Bake
- Vegan Gnocchi with Creamy Lemon Garlic Sauce
- One Pot Orzo with Roasted Butternut Squash
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH PASTA WITH GOAT’S CHEESE?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Throw any leftover spinach into this quick pesto
Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta with Goat's Cheese
- 1 Butternut Squash peeled and chopped into cubes
- Olive Oil
- 400 g Pasta
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 Chilli chopped
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 125 g Goat's Cheese crumbled
- 3 handfuls of Baby Spinach Leaves
- Small bunch Fresh Mint chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Spread the butternut squash out on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes until soft and beginning to brown.
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and place in a large bowl with the spinach, cover with a clean tea towel and leave for a couple of minutes to allow the spinach to wilt.
- Meanwhile heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan. Add the garlic and chillies and cook until the garlic is just beginning to brown. Pour over the pasta and spinach along with the lemon juice, squash, goat's cheese, mint and a good sprinkling of salt and pepper. Remember the goat's cheese is quite salty to do a little at a time and taste so as not to oversalt. Toss everything together and taste adding a little more olive oil if needed.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!