Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
There is nothing better than starting your day with Mexican food and this vegetarian breakfast burrito is the perfect make ahead breakfast. Stock your freezer with them and you’ll have healthy breakfasts all week long!
Yet another journey into my use of vegetarian sausages!
Since we’ve gone part-time vegetarian (is this what you call flexitarian?) we’ve been experimenting with recipes using vegetarian sausages. So far we’ve done a toad in the hole and a sausage casserole (coming soon to the blog!) and now these vegetarian breakfast burritos.
Every now and then I like to imagine I’m the type of person who has a freezer stocked with healthy breakfasts. My weekday breakfasts tend to be severely lacking.
Most days I’ll eat a yoghurt at my desk once I get to work but every now and then I wonder what it would be like to be able to grab a delicious breakfast on my way out the door instead.
And then I create something like this vegetarian breakfast burrito.
My favourite thing about this easy breakfast burrito recipe has to be that it freezes so well. I made a batch to freeze a couple and when we got them out the freezer and put them in the oven they came out so so well.
What do you put in a breakfast burrito?
- Kidney Beans – Or any other type of bean you like. I like the heartiness of kidney beans but this would work great with black beans or even cannellini beans so use whatever you like or have on hand.
- Cooked Rice or Quinoa – This helps to add extra texture and make these breakfast burritos extra filling. This is a great way to use up extra grains or cook whatever you like to use in the burritos.
- Vegetarian Sausages – For these breakfast burritos we used Linda McCartney Chorizo Sausages but you could use whatever brand you prefer. Or you could even use meaty ones if you prefer. Or leave them out all together and add a little extra grain.
- Spinach Leaves – Or another leafy green, kale would be delicious too!
- Eggs – To add the egg to these burritos I lightly scrambled them and then stirred them through the rice and they add that extra bit of protein which helps to fill you up.
- Cheddar – Or you could switch it up for another cheese if you like but I like a classic bit of cheddar.
How to freeze a vegetarian breakfast burrito
These breakfast burritos are so easy to freeze for a later date. Simply make the burritos and wrap them in foil or cling film then leave them to cool and freeze until ready to use.
How to reheat frozen vegetarian breakfast burritos
I often eat these burritos straight from frozen by reheating them in the oven. Place the frozen burrito in a preheated oven at 200°C for half an hour. Alternatively you could defrost the burrito overnight and pop in the oven or in a sandwich grill for a couple of minutes to warm through.
How do you make an easy vegetarian breakfast burrito?
- Start by frying the onion on low then add the garlic and spices and cooking until softened. Add the cooked rice or quinoa and stir to coat in the spices.
- Push the rice to one side of the pan and pour in the egg. Wait a minute for the eggs to start cooking then stir to scramble before stirring through the rice mixture.
- Add the beans, cheese, sausages and spinach and stir through until the spinach has wilted.
- Place 2-3 spoonfuls of the mixture on a tortilla and roll into a burrito. Repeat with the rest of the burritos. Wrap in foil and either freeze or serve.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £16.00Was: £24.00
- Price: £14.99Was: £16.00
- Price: £10.49Was: £14.00
Keep scrolling to get the full printable recipe…
Want more? Try out these other breakfast recipes!
- Grilled Breakfast Casserole
- Easy Breakfast Tacos with Eggs and Chorizo
- Classic Waffles
- Smoky Chorizo Shakshuka with Feta
- Chile Relleno Breakfast Casserole
- Potato, Courgette and Halloumi Hash with Tomato Sauce
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS VEGETARIAN BREAKFAST BURRITO?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Whizz up any leftover spinach in this quick pesto
Use up your sour cream and coriander in these healthy burritos
Vegetarian Breakfast Burrito Perfect for Meal Prep
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- Pinch Chilli Flakes
- 200 g Leftover Cooked Rice or Quinoa
- 3 Eggs
- 50 ml Milk
- 4 Vegetarian Sausages cooked to packet instructions and chopped into chunks
- 2 big handfuls Spinach Leaves
- 1 400g tin Kidney Beans drained
- 50 g Cheddar grated
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 Tortillas
- Sour Cream, Hot Sauce and Coriander to serve
- Heat the oil over a medium heat and fry the onion for a couple of minutes before adding the garlic and all of the spices. Cook for another couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Add the cooked rice or quinoa and stir to coat in the spices. Beat the eggs with the milk and season to taste. Push the rice to one side of the pan and pour in the beaten egg, wait for a minute for the egg to begin to set and then gently scramble for another minute or so before stirring into the rice.
- Add the kidney beans, vegetarian sausages, spinach and cheddar and stir everything together. Scoop 2 spoonfuls of the mixture into a tortilla and wrap into a burrito. Repeat with the remaining burritos.
- Either wrap in foil and leave to cool before freezing or eat straight away.
Did you make this recipe?Make sure you follow The Cook Report on Instagram and tag #TheCookReport so we can see what you've made!
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!