Turkish eggs makes the most incredible weekend breakfast! Whipped goat’s cheese yoghurt is topped with poached eggs and drizzled with chilli butter for a healthy brunch dish.
Every now and then I like to make a really special weekend breakfast and this is the most special of all the breakfasts I’ve made recently.
Will is training for a half marathon at the moment. His second one after the one we did together last year…which was one of the worst things I’ve ever done and cemented my hatred of running but somehow Will wasn’t fully put off after that first one.
So a few weeks ago when Will went out for a training run I was tasked with making a delicious breakfast for him to refuel with when he got back.
So I decided to whip up some eggs with chilli butter and goat’s cheese and oh man was that a good decision. They’re filling and pretty healthy (apart from the butter I guess, feel free to leave off if you want to reduce the calories).
Classic Turkish eggs uses a plain Greek yoghurt but I decided to add a little extra to it by whipping up the yoghurt with some goat’s cheese similar to the whipped feta in these beetroot burgers and it added so much flavour to the final dish.
Once the whipped goat’s cheese was done it was simply a case of poaching a couple of eggs (you can have one or two here depending on how hungry you are) and throwing together some chilli butter.
I used aleppo chilli flakes and smoked paprika for the butter. Aleppo chilli flakes are pretty mild but have the most delicious flavour and we use them all the time in our cooking but if you can’t get hold of them then use a mild chilli powder or dried chilli flakes instead.
- Goat’s Cheese: You can adjust the amount used according to taste but I’d be wary of going too cheesy. Use leftovers in this tomato pasta recipe
- Greek Yoghurt: Make sure you go for full fat, that’s really what you need to get it to whip well and spread nicely on the plate. Add leftover yoghurt to the slaw for these cauliflower tacos
- Herbs: I went with dill and coriander which are pretty classic for Turkish cuisine but feel free to use whatever you like or have on hand
- Eggs: Poached to your liking but runny is how it works best
- Butter: I normally use unsalted and add my own seasoning
- Spices: I added aleppo pepper and smoked paprika to the chilli butter but you could try different spices if you like
Keep scrolling to get the full printable recipe…
How to make this Turkish style eggs recipe:
- Make the whipped goat’s cheese: Put the goat’s cheese and Greek yoghurt into a food processor and blend until completely mixed. Add the herbs and season then blend again until smooth and fluffy.
- Make the chilli butter: Melt the butter over a medium heat and add the aleppo pepper and smoker paprika, cook for another minute until foaming then remove from the heat.
- Poach the eggs and serve: Poach the eggs to your liking in boiling water mixed with a little white wine vinegar then remove with a slotted spoon onto kitchen paper to drain. Smear a few spoonfuls of the whipped goat’s cheese on a plate, top with the poached eggs and drizzle over the chilli butter. Serve with lots of toast.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Expert tips for making this recipe
- If you want to make ahead some of this breakfast then you can whip up the goat’s cheese up to 2 days before then just poach your eggs and make your chilli butter just before serving
- If you can’t get aleppo chilli flakes then you can switch for chilli powder or chilli flakes however you may need to adjust how much you use as aleppo flakes tend to be milder. Start with 1 tsp and adjust according to taste
- You can use any fresh herbs you like in the whipped goat’s cheese although I do love the flavour that dill adds so I’d recommend using it if you like it
- To poach eggs I bring a pot of water to a rolling boil and add a glug of white wine vinegar. Using a slotting spoon stir the water quickly then gently slide the eggs into the water. Cook until the yolks are to your liking, I normally do 4 minutes, then remove and drain on kitchen roll
Want more? Try these other egg recipes!
- Steak and Eggs
- Huevos Rancheros Baked Eggs
- Eggs Benedict
- Easy Breakfast Tacos with Eggs & Chorizo
- One Pot Smoky Eggs and Beans
- Vegetarian Breakfast Burrito
- Chipotle Eggs and Potatoes with Kale
Turkish Eggs with Whipped Goat's Cheese & Chilli Butter
- 70 g Goat's Cheese
- 100 g Greek Yoghurt
- Bunch Fresh Herbs I used dill and coriander
- Salt and Pepper
- 2-4 Eggs poached to your liking
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 tsp Aleppo Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- Toast to serve
- Pea Shoots or Extra Herbs to serve
- Add the goat's cheese and Greek yoghurt to a food processor and blend until combined then add the herbs and salt and pepper and blend again until light and fluffy.
- Melt the butter over a medium heat and add the aleppo pepper and smoked paprika. Cook for another minute until frothing slightly then remove from the heat.
- Poach the eggs. Smear the whipped goat's cheese over the bottom of a plate, top with the eggs and a drizzle of chilli butter. Serve with plenty of toast.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!